[GPSCC-chat] DA GREEN PARTY CLUB - A2K IS A HUMAN RIGHT - FORUM AT 1:30 PM WED MAY 1

Drew rainbeaufriend at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 20:02:18 PDT 2013

Hey Spencer, your summary why copyright reform is needed for A2K human rights is very helpful and I'll look for a way to include it in the material.
 :-)

Green is GO!

Drew

~*~*~*~
Jill Stein for President -- A Green New Deal for America
Campaign website:  http://www.jillstein.org/
Climate Voter Power Pledge: http://www.jillstein.org/dc_climate_protests
     First TV Ad http://tinyurl.com/JillStein1stAd

>________________________________

      that "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by
      securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive
      Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."  Virtually
      all the changes in copyright law over the past 40 years have
      violated this purpose, extending the copyright period from a max
      of 28 years to 99 and essentially infinite, and broadening the
      range of application to "derivative works" with such vague
      language as to give the major media conglomerates legal grounds
      for SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit against Public Participation) suits
      against potential competitors.  My primary reference on copyright
      law is the Wikipedia article on "Free Culture (book)".  The
      industry successfully sued lawyers who represented MP3 and venture
      capitalists supporting Napster on questionable grounds with the
      sole purpose reducing competition to the major media
      conglomerates.  The industry won, because the lawyers and venture
      capitalists knew that they could not afford the legal fees to
      fight the cases because the copyright laws were too vague;  they
      settled out of court.  This and other actions have a chilling
      effect on creativity.  Lessig in "Free Culture" claims the first
      commercially successful Mickey Mouse cartoon movie, "Steamboat
      Willie", might not have been produced under current copyright law,
      because that cartoon might have been considered a "derivative
      work" of a Buster Keaton film, "Steamboat Bill, Jr.", produced
      earlier that year.  The most dynamic comics industry in the world
      is in Japan, because the Japanese simply refuse to use the
      existing copyright law (written to comply with international norms
      established essentially be US law).

>            2.  Virtually 100% of the application of current US
      copyright law to technical articles violates the provisions of the
      US constitution "to promote the progress of science and useful
      arts".  I'm an author on 30 published technical papers.  I was
      required to transfer the copyright to the publisher for the vast
      majority of those in exchange only for the privilege of seeing the
      work published.  That made sense prior to the Internet.  It no
      longer makes sense, even for archives of journals published prior
      to the Internet.  These could be digitized at a relatively low
      one-time cost and made available to the world for free.  They
      aren't, because US copyright law is outdated and maintained by the
      legalized bribery of our current system of private financing
      political campaigns in the US.

>            3.  I've received small royalty payments for one of
      the 2 books.  The royalty is nice, but it's so small, it was NOT
      even considered in my decision on whether to write that book.  The
      only reason I agreed to have the book published by Springer was
      because they have established distribution processes.  I would
      have preferred web publishing, but my lead co-author had a
      relationship with Springer, so I didn't fight that.  However,
      again, the my motivation in producing that work was unrelated to
      what the publishers tell congress about that, and the copyright
      violates the constitutional purpose of copyright law.

>            4.  Popular textbooks may be different:  I don't know
      for sure, but I believe that the royalties from popular textbooks
      for established technical authors can be substantial and can
      encourage the production of such textbooks.  However, Wikiversity
      provides a platform for collaborative production of training
      materials under the Creative Commons attribution share-alike
      license.  Wikimedia projects include a feature to "Create a
      book":  Any prof can create the book they want from established
      content in Wikimedia projects tailored to what they think should
      be taught.  Profs all over the world collaborate to create that
      content.  This is a mechanism for providing access to the best
      available knowledge selected by local profs that does not rely on
      established book publishers, which justify huge royalties based on
      the relatively low production volumes.  Once again, we don't need
      to pay individual authors to write popular textbooks:  We can get
      better textbooks from committees of profs teaching similar
      material all over the world, kept as current as profs can keep
      themselves current.  And again, the constitutional purpose for
      copyright law is violated but too a lesser extent than for
      published technical papers and research monographs.

>      Thanks for organizing this event.  Feel free to quote me if
      you think it could be useful.

>      Spencer
>

>On 4/25/2013 10:51 PM, perrysandy at aol.com wrote:
>

>>frE uR tXbk$!
>>A2K: Accessto Knowledge
>>“Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves. The world’s cultural heritage … locked up by a handful of private corporations … The Open Access Movement has fought valiantly to allow anyone to access it.”
>> – Aaron Swartz 1986 – 2013, A2K hero & martyr.
>>May Day A2K!
>>A2K = a human right
>>On May Day the traditional celebration day for liberation join DR. CRYSTALLEE CRAIN, and DA Student Trustee VINCE MENDOZA, to learn about De Anza Student Advocacy Group’s work on
>>OER (Open Educational Resources)
>>TIME: Wed. May 1 from 1:30 – 3:30 pm
>>PLACE: Student Center Conference Room A
>>Sponsors:DA GREEN PARTY CLUB
>>Institute of Community and Civic Engagement
>>Office of Equity, Social Justice and Multicultural Education

>--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.