[GPSCC-chat] County Council of Green Party of Santa Clara County

Sanda Everette sanda at greens.org
Fri Apr 26 18:35:43 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Spencer Graves <
spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:

> To: The GPCA Coordinating Committee
>

> c/o Sanda Everette and Alex Shantz, Co-Coordinators
>

> This letter responds to the request by Sanda Everette that the Green Party
> of Santa Clara County officially re-appoint its 2012-2014 County Council
> members as there were no GPSCC CC candidates on the June 2012 Primary
> Election ballot. As previously, communicated, at its regularly scheduled
> and announced May 2012 general membership meeting – consistent with
> long-standing GPSCC Bylaws -- the sitting GPSCC CC members appointed new
> members beginning June 2012 and those appointments were approved by the
> members present.

Again to clarify, a sitting County Council can not appoint the next,
incoming County Council.  Rather, any appointment of a new County Council
can only occur after a vacancy has occurred - i.e. after the outgoing
Council's term has ended - and then only by the process specified in the
county's bylaws.

Thus any appointment for 2012-2014 made before July 2012 could not be valid.

> Also, at its regularly scheduled meeting on February 28, 2013 (fourth
> Thursday of the month), GPSCC members present unanimously consensed to
> reappoint existing County Council members; one prior CC member had left
> California. A notice that such would be occurring was placed on the GPSCC
> general discussion email list – the main communication vehicle to GPSCC
> members – more than two weeks before that meeting. This item also was
> published in the draft agenda two weeks before the meeting and on
> additional days before the meeting.
>

> At the March 28, 2013, GPSCC general membership meeting, the item was
> presented. The volunteers alll affirmed that they all live in Santa Clara
> County and are willing to continue serving as members of the County Council
> of the Green Party of Santa Clara County. Their reappointment was
> reaffirmed by unanimous consensus. Note: Pursuant to GPCA and GPSCC Bylaws,
> the GPSCC makes decisions, whenever possible, by consensus. You may
> consider the appointments made on March 28, 2013, as “unanimously elected”
> if your sense and sensibilities about such matters require use of that
> language.
>

> Also at the March 28, 2013, meeting, I was tasked and agreed to write this
> communication to the GPCA Coordinating Committee Co-Coordinators to
> identify the current GPSCC County Council members. The current GPSCC County
> Council members and their email contact information are:
>

> Names / emails / phone numbers:
>

> * Jim Doyle <j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net>, 408-269-3299
>

> * Spencer Graves <spencer.graves@**effectivedefense.org<spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org>>,
> M: 408-655-4567, H: 408-294-5779
>

> * John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com>, 408-561-1390
>

> * Drew Johnson <Rainbeaufriend at yahoo.com>, 408-520-1652
>

> * Betsy Wolf-Graves <betsy237 at prodsyse.com>, 408-294-5779
>

> *** Please let me know if this meets your requirements. If it doesn't,
> please explain why it doesn't, what else we need to do, and point me to the
> specific rules.

The bylaws for such an appointment where the county is already considered
active by the state party are as follows (note: Santa Clara County is
considered active because if its attendance at prior General Assemblies,
even if it doesn't have an active county council)

http://www.cagreens.org/bylaws/2013-03-23#Section_6-6_Appointment_to_Vacancies_in_Counties_in_which_no_County_Council_members_were_elected_in_the_primary_election

6-6.4 For decisions to be valid at this General Meeting, *in counties in
which where there is a recognized County Organization, either the number
shall be equal to the amount that would be necessary to sign nomination
signatures to appear on the County Council ballot in that county; or at a
meeting with less than that number, but with at least three, only those
candidates would be eligible who present a nomination petition with a
number of signatures from registered Greens in the county, equal to the
amount that would be necessary to sign nomination signatures to appear on
the County Council ballot in that county*.

Its not clear from the minutes of your meeting
http://lists.cagreens.org/pipermail/sosfbay-discuss/2013-March/014399.html that
there were either 20 individuals present, or that those seeking appointment
had 20 nomination signatures.  Without either criteria being satisfied, no
appointments can be made.

As we sent you before, there is supposed to be a 21 day notice, aided by
the state Coordinating Committee, notifying Greens in  your county of the
date of appointment. But then in addition as per above, anyone seeking
appointment needs to satisfy the criteria of either having enough
nominations signatures to be eligible (that number is likely 20 registered
Greens in Santa Clara County) OR the number of people at the meeting making
the appointment needs to be at least 20.