[GPSCC-chat] SJ Pride Proposal to participate, Aug 17-18

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Aug 1 21:46:44 PDT 2013

       I agree (with Drew and probably everyone else) that we should not
do everything based on money. I'm essentially a full time activist right
now, because I think what I'm doing is important for the future of
humanity, and Betsy and I are able to survive on what we have.
Nevertheless, we (Spencer, Betsy and the Santa Clara Green Party) need
to watch our finances.

       Drew said, "For 7 out of the past 9 years the GPSCC has
participated in the SJ Pride event." How much money did we spend for
those events?  How many new Green party members did we get?  How much
money did we take in?  How much did we spend?  What was our net?  How
much did we spend for each new member?

       I very much appreciate John's very generous pledge and his
commitment to be there both days.  However, unless we can anticipate
bringing in $300, we'll have to cover at least part of the cost of that
event from other sources.  If we subsidize participation in SJ Gay Pride
from other sources, we should make sure the people who bring in those
other funds feel like this is a good use of the money.

       Spencer

p.s.  I'm guilty of poor planning for the Foreclosure Summit last
September 15.  Occupy San José (OSJ) contributed roughly $120 for that
event.  Caroline and Merriam collected $25 or so for the Green Party.  I
should have passed the hat after the presentations but before the
discussion, but I didn't.  As a result, other OSJ contributions
subsidized that event.  That was a mistake.  If we are going to
subsidize one event from others routinely, we need to discuss the
finances openly, as noted above.

p.p.s.  Is it permissible to ask why SJ Pride needs to charge that
much?  We table at other events without paying anywhere near that.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126