[GPSCC-chat] SJ Pride Proposal to participate, Aug 17-18

Drew rainbeaufriend at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 2 11:19:38 PDT 2013

First off a big thanks to John for stepping up to offer monetary and physical support for this proposal.

Secondly yes it would be good to start recording all that kind of stats for our events, but we don't have it for past events except what we imagine we remember (which may not be accurate).  However even when we do, outreach is something that frequently doesn't really lend itself to a cost/benefit approach.  "Being seen wearing Green" and having our signs out and participating counts in ways that we can not measure.  Planting seeds is something we have to constantly do since we have such a low profile (imposed on us in many cases by the Titanic Parties)

Thirdly to be specific about the SJ Pride Event I and Tian and a number of others participated several years in the past (I can not speak to the whole 9 years since i got active in Green Party community organizing in 2004 and didn't immediately participate in this particular event until probably 2007 or so).  Previously SJ Pride had the aforementioned parade (which last 2 years and this will not take place, but probably next year again), and i think we focused on that part to the point where I'm not even sure if we tabled or not.  Tian and I handed out lots of literature along the parade route and made our presence felt.  I don't know what (if anything) it cost to participate in the parade.  So we have an apples and oranges situation here.  We can not directly compare.

I have often thought we Greens would be the natural fit for the LGBTQ community if the decision was purely based on values.  However the LGBTQ community is so deeply entrenched in the Dem's (and in general the status quo) camp that it is actually fairly challenging to get a hearing.  Right now I think we have more opportunity than perhaps we ever have had with the LGBTQ community.  Let's find a way to seize the day.

Green is GO!

Drew

~*~*~*~
Dr. Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala leading the 100 member Green Shadow Cabinet to A Green New Deal for America
http://greenshadowcabinet.us

Dr. Stein's Campaign website:  http://www.jillstein.org/
Climate Voter Power Pledge: http://www.jillstein.org/dc_climate_protests
     First TV Ad http://tinyurl.com/JillStein1stAd

>________________________________

      commitment to be there both days.  However, unless we can
      anticipate bringing in $300, we'll have to cover at least part of
      the cost of that event from other sources.  If we subsidize
      participation in SJ Gay Pride from other sources, we should make
      sure the people who bring in those other funds feel like this is a
      good use of the money.

>      Spencer
>

>p.s.  I'm guilty of poor planning for the Foreclosure Summit last
      September 15.  Occupy San José (OSJ) contributed roughly $120 for
      that event.  Caroline and Merriam collected $25 or so for the
      Green Party.  I should have passed the hat after the presentations
      but before the discussion, but I didn't.  As a result, other OSJ
      contributions subsidized that event.  That was a mistake.  If we
      are going to subsidize one event from others routinely, we need to
      discuss the finances openly, as noted above.

>p.p.s.  Is it permissible to ask why SJ Pride needs to charge that
      much?  We table at other events without paying anywhere near
      that.

>On 8/1/2013 8:11 PM, John Thielking wrote:
>
>I would be willing to contribute $100 at the next Green Party meeting if we vote to do the deluxe set up for $400. (I get paid on the 21st.) I think it is worth it to have a credible stage presence with a canopy and tables, especially if we don't have to haul that stuff ourselves.  I can also be there to table one or both days if needed.
>>
>>John Thielking
>>

>>________________________________

                      tablers lined
>>> up with solid commitments to be there to
                      cover the hours
>>> before negotiating for a reduction in price.
>>>
>>> I am of the opinion that the gap pride event
                      would be a
>>> great place to be tabling.
>>

>>      How much money would we likely collect?
>>

>>      I'm for tabling anywhere we can find
                      volunteers to table provided
>>we have some reasonable anticipation of covering
                      most of our out of
>>pocket expenses.
>>

>>      Best Wishes,
>>      Spencer
>>

>>Green is GO!
>>

>>Drew
>>

>>~*~*~*~
>>Dr. Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala leading the 100 member Green Shadow Cabinet to A Green New Deal for America
>>http://greenshadowcabinet.us
>>
>>Dr. Stein's Campaign website:  http://www.jillstein.org/
>>Climate Voter Power Pledge: http://www.jillstein.org/dc_climate_protests
>>    First TV Ad http://tinyurl.com/JillStein1stAd