[GPSCC-chat] Rodriguez Campaign

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Wed Aug 21 18:33:17 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think the Luis Rodriguez statement below is cause for concern, especially the part at the beginning about using the Green Party campaign to build the Justice Party. I am not saying we should necessarily oppose the campaign, but I think we should be careful and thoughtful about how we proceed, and discuss this thoroughly tomorrow night.

Sandy

http://www.networkforrevolutionarychange.org/national/luis-rodriguez-to-run-for-governor-of-california/

From: Luis Javier Rodriguez

To All Revolutionary Leaders,Activists and Organizers:

Many already know I've launched anindependent campaign for governor of California in the 2014 elections. I sayindependent since this is going on regardless of what happens. But I hope it'san opportunity for the Justice Party to grow in California. Use the issues inthis campaign to get members, signatures, a possible ballot presence in thefuture. For now I will be trying to get the state's Green Party endorsement attheir state convention in November or December. I will also talk to the Peace& Freedom Party. My plan is to unite as many progressive party people tothis campaign. The Green Party endorsement will mean I can be on the ballot. Ihave many friends in the Green Party here in the San Fernando Valley. They havebeen pushing me to do this, knowing my ties to the Justice Party and my runwith Rocky Anderson for President last year as his vice-presidential candidate.This should also help the Greens -- I have no problem with that. But thecampaign is broader. The main issues I will be focusing on are: Poverty and theeconomy; the environment; prison reform; and the opening up of the democraticprocess.

I will try to update everyone onthis campaign. I hope people understand that this is a different kind ofcampaign -- on the issues, solutions, strategies. Not tied to party politicsand intrigue. I'm not interested in any of that although I'm aware of all ofit. I invite anyone in California -- and elsewhere if they care to support --to be part of making history. To do something big. To bring progressive ideasto as many people as possible. I'm not interested in the intra-dynamic chattergoing on between activists about who's right, who's left, who's reallyprogressive, who's principled -- most of this is antagonistic and debilitating.I am, of course, in favor of an expanding dialogue, with respect to all, evenif we agree or disagree, on what we need to do and where we need to go.

For me, however, our main principleis to be engrossed in the actual realties of the world we are in. We can't keeppulling ourselves away from our source, our mother, the American working classin all its variety, dangers, richness, and even backwardness. That's myconstituency. It's more difficult to work outside the chorus. But if done well,the results will be in favor of the Justice Party, the Greens, even, for a newCalifornia. A new America.

My principles are solid enough towithstand the storms anyone of us will get for stepping up, for thinking big,for truly challenging the injustices and growing economic desperation of moreand more people. Please join with me.

Write me at Luis J. Rodriguez, PO Box328, San Fernando CA 91341 or call 818-898-0013.

With respect to all,

Luis J. Rodriguez