[GPSCC-chat] community organising

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 22 15:56:15 PDT 2013

Here is an excerpt from a report I just received from Somos Mayfair,
an organisation working in the Mayfair community of San Jose:

I wish we would undertake something siimilar;

Jim Doyle

      Update on In Our Hands Campaign

We just finished wrapping up  Year 1 of our In Our Hands Campaign
and we are excited to announce that progress so far shows that our
model can close the achievement gap in the Mayfair community.

In Year 1, we've trained and recruited 52 promotores that engaged
842 adults and children in the community.   We increased Kinder
readiness percentage of incoming kindergartners from 14% to 20%.

Currently, our newly graduated promotores are on the ground recruiting
new families and making home visits in the community. Our home visits
have been immensely helpful in helping community members familiarize
themselves with their neighbors and building the collective trust and
support that we need in order to mobilize the community behind issues
that affect Mayfair.