[GPSCC-chat] meeting minutes THURS DEC 19

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Dec 19 22:22:44 PST 2013

       another revision to the proposed agenda;  see you this evening.
Spencer

On 12/18/2013 9:08 PM, perrysandy at aol.com wrote:
> *Proposed Agenda --- GPSCC Thursday Dec 19*
> 7:00-7:30No speaker has been proposed for this month.
> 7:30-7:40 Identify

> facilitator:  Sandy

> note taker: Spencer

> vibes watcher:  Drew

> , time keeper:  John

> and agenda preparer:  Caroline

> . Intros and announcements:

       Christy from CHAM

Sandy

Peter O'Reilly

John Thielking

Drew Johnson:  Jan. 30, 1:30 PM:  Sharat Lin will speak at DeAnza on US
meddling in Syria and Iran in the MCC (Multi-Cultural Center).  Trying
to get Cynthia McKinney to speak for Luis Rodriguez + Angela Davis maybe
May 12 ...

Spencer Graves.

Caroline Yacoub:

Blair:  1st meeting.

Tian Harter:  Mostly bike party activist.

> . Additions or corrections to agenda.

       Andrea:  $60 for candy + ...
total:  $147 = most we've ever taken in for any event since in
Caroline's memory.

Tian will work with Jim Doyle to take care of the PO Box.
> 7:40-8:00Health Care Committee report. Sandy.

       Showing "Mercy Killers" play at a union hall.  raised over $1K
for "Campaign for a Healthy California.

       ~2 weeks ago:  Supv. Simitian wanted Santa Clara county to stop
lobbying for single payer.  ~20 people went, ~12 people testified.
Simitian read the political wind and voted against his own proposal to
support single payer.  Cindy Chavez said she supported single payer to
keep the insurance companies in check.

      In the Santa Rosa meeting, Perry was impressed with a report from
Barry Hermanson on single payer.

       Next year:  More health fairs, esp. with Latinos and labor.

> 8:00-8:20 Report on climate change actions, next steps, role of GPSCC.
> Gerry, Caroline.

       350 Silicon Valley meeting in a Mexican restaurant:  They are
looking for new things to do.

       Drew:  They could support Bus Rapid Transit (BRT).

       Tian proposed a "die-in" for all the pedestrians and bicyclists
killed in the street.  They were not impressed.

       De Anza 350 should attend the 350 Silicon Valley meetings.  De
Anza student activists got the De Anza Board to divest from fossil fuel
companies.

       There has been training in nonviolence / civil disobedience.

       Drew:  Why don't we challenge ourselves to start the ball rolling
for climate change, e.g., pick a date for some event?

       Caroline:  Because we were so successful at the Peace Fair, we
need more schwag -- material to distribute or sell when tabling. Selling
seeds or starter plants?  Warner planted many, and we sold them.

> 8:20--9:00 Collecting signatures for Green party candidates:  We need
> a plan to obtain the required forms and circulate them. ** CAN WE HAVE
> A PLAN THAT WILL DELIVER FORMS FOR SIGNATURE AT TIAN'S PARTY, DEC. 27,
> 7-10 PM? (must be collected Dec. 27 to 6 weeks later)

       Starting Dec. 27, we have 6 weeks to collect 10,000 signatures or
$3,500 per candidate.

       Drew and Peter will make sure Spencer gets electronic versions of
the petitions in time to print for the party.

       Proposed:  Green Party of Santa Clara County sponsor a viewing of
"Inequality for All" on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2-4:30 PM, subject to the
approval of the local Dream Menders -- or any other date within 6 weeks
of Dec. 27 (but not Jan. 16 or 18).  Consensus.

       Caroline will bring voter registration forms to Tian's party.

       We will have a goal of 1,000 signatures for each of our four
statewide candidates.

> 9:00 -- 9:10Instant Runoff Voting in Santa Clara County:  The current
> status will be discussed
> at the Jan. 7 meeting of the Santa Clara County Citizens' Advisory
> Commission on Elections (6 PM).Spencer.

       Drew will talk with Paul Fong the prospects for IRV in Santa
Clara County and maybe also with someone on Jim Beall's staff.

       Spencer will contact Steve Chessin and possibly Mike Hunter to
plan contacting others, e.g., local Democratic Party clubs, California
Clean Money Campaign (Craig Dunkersley)

> 8:35-8:45 Tabling & activity reports. De Anza. Holiday Peace Fair.
> December 9 Restore the Delta Demonstration

       (see above):  The Peace Fair was very nice but attendance was
low.  Too few children. Usually the first Saturday in December.  This
year it was the 2nd Saturday.

> 8:40-8:50 Upcoming Activities. FCC Chair Tom Wheeler will be in
> Oakland, Jan. 9, 7 PM, Niles Hall, Preservation Park, 1233
> Preservation Park Way, Oakland CA 94612. I'm thinking of attending to
> support Net Neutrality, oppose media consolidation, etc.  What other
> concerns do you feel should be expressed at an FCC Town Hall like
> this?Spencer.

8:50-9:00Discuss possibly having a talk by Daniel Sheehan and presenting
his book "The People's Advocate: The Life and Legal History of America's
Most Fearless Public Interest Lawyer".   In the book, Sheehan details
his involvement with legal cases such as the Pentagon Papers Case in
1971, the Watergate Burglary Case in 1973, the Karen Silkwood case in
1976, the American Sanctuary Movement Case in 1981 and the Iran/Contra
Racketeering Case against the Reagan/Bush administration. John.

Dan Sheehan spoke at the Santa Clara County Democratic Club;  for more
information, call 408-247-9513.

Proposed:  The Green Party sponsor or co-sponsor a presentation by
Daniel Sheehan, selling his book(s), date, place, to be determined.
Approved.

Pete to take the lead, e.g, by asking Andrea if her Humanist group would
be interested in sponsoring such an event in conjunction with the Green
Party.

9:00-9:10Announcing the Green Apple!  Sustainable, upgradable, and
backward software
compatible, the Green Apple will also be non-toxic, recyclable, and
biodegradable. Brian.
9:10-9:15Treasurer report -- pass the hat. Jim
9:15Would the Santa Clara Greens like to co-sponsor showing and
discussing the Robert Reich movie, Inequality for All, on or about Feb.
22, in conjunction with the local Dream Menders (and probably other
groups like Common Cause), similar to our joint sponsorship of "The
United States of ALEC", last Oct. 13?  Spencer

9:25      Would the Santa Clara Greens like to co-sponsor (with
organizations like Dream Menders, Human Agenda and PACT) events
discussing "Social Benefit businesses" like cooperatives or not-for
profit microcredit organizations like the Grameen Banks?  [These would
seem to be similar to Brian's "Green Apple".]  Spencer

       Yes, in principle;  need to see the details.

9:30 Adjourn
> *Come on down!*I'm celebrating being a gardener for two years. I'm
> celebrating being a green activist for yet another year. I'm
> celebrating Bike Party. I'm celebrating the local community, and
> whatever else comes to the party to. Happy Festivus! Probably I'll
> have a "plain aluminum pole made from beer cans" for you to see.
> Probably I'll bring my camera and take your picture at least once
> during the evening. Probably we'll have access to a pool table that
> works, but the main event is talking to all the other people who show
> up in a warm and comfortable room.
> *When: anytime between 7 PM and 10 PM, Friday December 27th, 2012.
> Where: the clubhouse at 505 Cypress Point Drive in Mountain View. *
> We'll probably be there until 11ish, but probably the participation
> will be thin at the early end. I'd love one or two people to volunteer
> to be early.Tian.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.