[GPSCC-chat] Politics and Wall Street Crimes

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Feb 7 09:32:22 PST 2013

Hello, All:

       You can help build the outrage about the lack of criminal charges
against S&P and many who get massive favors from the US government at
the expense of everyone else.  The organization I know that is most
effectively raising this kind of issue right now is Rootstrikers,
founded by Lawrence Lessig, whose book "Republic, Lost" is the best
reference I know on this subject.[1] Rootstrikers is currently
organizing two types of activities, and I'm working with them to help
develop a third:

             (1) Rootstrikers Meetup groups that attempt to get the
Right and Left talking with one another:  Both agree that crony
capitalism is a major problem for the US, and there are group forming
all over the nation trying to bring the Tea Party together with liberal
democrats and others at all extremes of the political spectrum to build
a consensus for action.  Tonight, 7-9 PM, there will be a meeting of the
local group at Cafe Campbell
(www.meetup.com/Rootstrikers/Los-Gatos-CA).  I have a conflict, but it
would be great of someone else from this group could attend and report
back to the rest of us.

             (2) Rootstrikers Street Teams are organization actions of
various kinds.  They are organizing a meeting next Tuesday evening at
7:30 in San Francisco to plan a campaign around the Disclose act and
similar issues.  (www.rootstrikers.org/calendar) It would be great if
someone could attend this and make suggestions for things we could do.

             (3) I'm trying to recruit volunteers to help document the
corrosive influence of money in politics.  See
"http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Documenting_crony_capitalism".

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

[1] See "rootstrikers.org" plus the Wikipedia articles on Lawrence
Lessig and "Republic, Lost"