[GPSCC-chat] Guns

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 10:13:25 PST 2013

I don't know the Green Party's position on gun control, but the lack of chatter on the issue here increases my confidence that that the issue is trivial and Obama's recent aggressive activity is a mere smokescreen so he can make his supporters think he's progressive even while he's caving in on social security and medicare.

My view about guns changed when I was living in my car for weeks and months  in the National Forests and in Manhattan.  My initial terror that some nut might attack me at 3:00 am turned out to be groundless--the only people who ever bothered me were streetsweepers who wanted my car moved so they could hoover the leaves up, and police in Chicago and NYC checking to see that I wasn't dying of a drug overdose.   I came to suspect that my personal security rested on the fact that only a totally crazed person would even consider bothering me because they had no way of knowing if I had a gun or not.  Thus I came to regard guns as peacekeepers.

Yes, guns sometimes fall into the hands of nutjobs.  If some nut wants to kill a lot of people, many schemes are practical even without guns.  I was surprised recently to find my thinking echoed by a prominent South Bay peace activist who said that though he will probably never own a gun himself,
he supports the 2d amendment.