[GPSCC-chat] homeless feeding and action(s)

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 16 16:14:03 PDT 2013

Mike Fischetti sent an email:

hi
an opportunity for the green party occupy to participate
many groups are represented

i am participating on behalf of "hope's corner" which is a Saturday
feeding program
for hungry and homeless at trinity methodist 1 block from mountain view
city hall.

we serve about 80-100 and many of our clients - individuals and families
- sleep and
shower at cubberly . the palo alto city council is wanting to pass and
ordinance
making sleeping in you car illegal

see below on plans for 7/28 and 8/5
mike

        as you may know the palo alto city council is proceeding with
consideration
of an ordinance banning the homeless from sleeping in their cars!   this
is especially
aimed at those at cubberly in palo alto  where many sleep in their cars
or in the open
and use the early am showers (many to be presentable at work).

        where should they go? they plan to offer social services -- a
sham -- the lists are
already years out and the supply of housing is woefully inadequate.
there are 7000
nitely homeless of which 700 are veterans.

       26 of 28 speakers at a policy committee 2 weeks ago spoke
articulately against
the ordinance but the 3 council members on that committee blithely
passed the ordinance
on to the whole council for consideration.

      about 70 met last saturday at the Unitarian unilateralist church
in palo alto,  many
homeless shared their stories.

      last nite a dozen of us met there and formulated a plan as
outlined below

      it is likely that the palo alto council will consider the
ordinance on august 5th - in the
short interval we plan to demonstrate opposition and to garner publicity
(notifying the press etc) with 2 actions
                     1. 7/28  an evening meal and a sleep in (cars or
otherwise) at cubberly
                     2. 8/5 at 4 pm a rally at city hall plaza and a
tent in overnight

      the next meeting of the group is this saturday at the Unitarian
universalist church
on Charleston in palo alto at 2 pm

      perhaps you would like to be at that meeting

      i will keep you posted

mike