[GPSCC-chat] Agenda GPSCC Meeting - Thursday July 25 - Draft #1/Concerns

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sun Jul 21 21:33:19 PDT 2013

       I suggest we discuss in particular instant runoff voting (IRV).
Electoral reform is a larger issue today than it was a few years ago
when the Greens were pushing IRV.  Move to Amend recently got the San
José City Council to pass a resolution saying that money is not speech,
and Rootstrikers are working to raise the issue of citizen funding of
elections (where each citizen would get a voucher worth roughly $50 that
they could spend on candidates and issue campaigns that do not accept
big money contributions.  Also, Betsy and I recently attended a meeting
of the California Clean Money campaign at the Santa Clara County
Democratic Party Headquarters and got an invitation from Craig Dunkerley
to join the Santa Clara County Democratic Club.  I introduced myself as
a member of the Santa Clara Green Party County Council, and I think he
probably remembered that when he extended that invitation.  He joined
the Santa Clara County Chamber of Commerce and feels he is accepted
there as a liberal Democrat expecting to find areas in which members of
the Chamber and the Democratic Party can craft a joint approach to
issues both see as problems.  If I join that group, I think I'll find
ways to raise this issue with them.  I also plan to try to raise this
issue with the local Libartarian and Republican Parties.  The big money
don't want that, but I think the rank and file in Republican,
Democratic, and Libartarian parties would support IRV.

       What do I need to do to learn about the status of IRV in Santa
Clara County?

       Thanks,
       Spencer

On 7/21/2013 7:36 PM, WB4D23 at aol.com wrote:
> I think any one of these issues could involve a 20 minute discussion
> or longer...  I suggest that Spencer choose one of these topics for
> the next meeting and we go through them one at a time each month.  I
> do not see any special urgency for a GPSCC "supports" statement for
> any of them, since there is no action provision involved.  Also,
> again, I think that any presentation of such proposals should include
> at least a text summary of what is being requested to be endorsed and
> information about the current status (if any) of applicable GPUS and
> GPCA platform items. Warner
> In a message dated 7/18/2013 9:39:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> gerrygras at earthlink.net writes:
>
>     8:20 (20 min) - Electoral Reform Proposal  (Spencer?)
>     ""The Green Party of Santa Clara County supports the following
>     initiatives for electoral reform:  Overturning Citizens United,
>     citizen-funded election and news, the US and California Disclose
>     Acts,
>     the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (that requires
>     participating states to commit all their electoral votes to the
>     candidate who wins the popular vote), and Instant-runoff voting (as
>     outlined in the Wikipedia article on "Electoral reform in the United
>     States").  The Green Party of Santa Clara County will collaborate
>     with
>     all other organizations working to pass these issues including
>     getting
>     supporting resolutions passed at local and state levels as
>     appropriate.
>       This includes in particular Move to Amend and Rootstrikers."

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126