[GPSCC-chat] Fw: CA DISCLOSE Act - Palo Alto-San Mateo Working Group Meeting July 23rd

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 21 23:54:25 PDT 2013

The DISCLOSE Act effort is ramping up toward two events:  1) packing the hearings
at the Assembly Elections Committee and the Appropriations Committee next
month, and 2) massive phonebanking before the Assembly floor vote.  We'll be
calling into the Assembly districts of on-the-fence Assembly members to ask
registered Clean Money supporters to phone their legislator and ask for a yes
vote.

We need at least one Republican vote to get the 2/3 needed to pass the bill
this year so it can be in effect for the 2014 election. (Otherwise it has to
become a two-year bill for passage next year, probably too late to go in effect
by November.)  In the Senate vote a few weeks ago we actually got one of the
Republicans, Sen. Cannella, to vote yes--so it can be done!

        CA DISCLOSE Act - Palo Alto-San Mateo Working Group Meeting July 23rd

                            Thanks for supporting SB 52, the California DISCLOSE Act!

                            View this email in your browser

		SB 52, the California DISCLOSE Act passed on the full Senate floor 28-11. Now on to the Assembly - we need your help!

		Your support was crucial in getting SB 52 passed in the Senate. Now we need you more than ever for the Assembly!

		Attend California Clean Money Campaign's Palo Alto - San Mateo Working Group

		 meeting to participate in moving SB 52 through the process of becoming law.

	Palo Alto - San Mateo Working Group Meeting

	Tuesday, July 23rd

	7:00 PM - 8:30 PM

	Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto

	Fireside Room

	505 E. Charleston Road

	Palo Alto, CA 94306

	       RSVPs not required but appreciated

	CLICK here to RSVP and view more details

	Please feel free to bring a friend or two!

	Thanks for all that you do!

	 The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision unleashed unlimited, anonymous corporate spending on campaigns.  Over $425 million was spent last year on ballot measures in California alone, with most of the money hiding behind misleading names.  That's why we need to pass SB 52 (Leno-Hill), the California DISCLOSE Act, to make sure that people know who is really paying for political ads.

		SB 52, the California DISCLOSE Act, would:

			Replace current deceptive "Paid for by" disclosures with real disclosure, making the top funders of the ad boldly and explicitly clear ON THE AD ITSELF.

			Require that ads have a link to a website showing the top ten funders.

		Tell voters who is really funding propositions and attack ads when it counts!

		For more info on SB 52, the California DISCLOSE Act, and how it will stop hidden influence of Big Money special interests, see our home page:  http://cadisclose.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=218404b9b7d17b8e087467c45&id=85f4ffcc00&e=b96e3d589a.

					Join the California Clean Money Campaign

						The California Clean Money Campaign is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose vision is to achieve an open and accountable government that is responsive to the needs of all Californians by building statewide support for full disclosure and public funding of election campaigns.  All our support comes from individuals and non-profit foundations, with no funding from corporations or unions.

                            Copyright © 2013 California Clean Money Campaign, All rights reserved.

 You're getting this due to your support for the DISCLOSE Act or Clean Money and Fair Elections.

Our mailing address is:

California Clean Money Campaign8124 W. 3rd St, Suite 105Los Angeles, CA  90048Add us to your address book
 unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences