[GPSCC-chat] GREEN PARTY SCC JUNE 27 minutes

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Jun 27 22:07:36 PDT 2013

Please post corrections, etc., to this list.  Thanks. Spencer

On 6/26/2013 9:41 PM, perrysandy at aol.com wrote:
> *Final Proposed Agenda---June 27, 2013 Green Party Meeting*
> 7:00-7:30No speaker has been proposed for this month.

       Drew's podcast on A2K

> 7:30-7:40 Identify facilitator:  Sandy

> note taker: Spencer

> vibes watcher:  Dana

> time keeper:John

> and agenda preparer:  Gerry

> Intros and announcements. Additions or corrections to agenda.

VJ, Sandy, Warner, Pete, John, Spencer, Caroline, Dana, Drew, Gerry

Pete:  re. Bradley Manning. August 16 Gay Pride festival in San José.

Sandy:  Movie here tomorrow night, Bidder 70, at the Peace Center

Caroline:  Fred had an event Tuesday about the minimum wage.  People in
Mt. View are working to raise the minimum wage there, following the
increase in San José.

Drew:  Prototype podcast ...

> 7:40-8:20 Health Care Committee report. Proposed September 6 "The
> Health Care Movie", ~1 hour, comparing the US and Canadian health care
> systems.

> showing with panel discussion including a Green Party speaker.
> Prospects for building Green Party membership in the course of
> fighting for single payer health care.

       Plan:  Show the movie and have a panel (1) health care, (2) Green
party, and (3) immigrants.  ACA = Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).

       Sandy still needs to confirm a space.  We should  not start
telephoning until 3 weeks before the event.  The key to advancing health
care in CA is involving Latinos, because ACA disproportionately excludes
Latinos.

       Plan tentatively to use 7 Trees, in a Latino Neighborhood.

> 8:20-8:35 Report on May 29 Day of Action, June 6 Obama protest and
> other climate change activities.

       May 25 Monsanto protest:  500 - 1,000 people in downtown San José
marching from Cesar Chavez park ... .  Enthusiastic crowd but no sound.

       May 29 & June 6 people in multiple places between 100 and 500
people.

       June 11:  Keystone pipeline protest in Milbrae esp. against
Facebook shareholder meeting.

       350.org meets tomorrow night.

> 8:35-8:50 Report back by delegates from State meeting, June 22-23.

       Warner:  (1) Warner made his objection re. the Standing General
Assembly.  Agenda was approved under the new rules but not the old (60%
but not 2/3).  19 yes, 12 no, many abstentions.  one vote would have
changed the result.

             (2) Breakout session for Finance Committee Saturday PM.
They plan to organize a separate subcommittee for fund raising.

             (3) Campaign & candidates working group Sunday AM:

       Gerry:  more upset that Warner is with the coup to the party.
Also has questions about the finance committee.  Someone hacked the
account.  People asked questions and did NOT get good answers, but
apparently the funds were recovered.

       Caroline:  Green issues meeting:  People at a loss for what to
do.  Caroline described picking 2 issues, building coalitions. Others
seemed enthused about that.

        Drew:  Also unhappy about the Standing General Assembly having
powers to change the bylaws.  GROW = grass roots organizing working
group.  We need 120K+ or we lose our ballot access.

       Dana:  was an alternate who became a delegate.  She was proud of
our delegation.  Everyone comported themselves well.

(only 30? people total attendance)

       Next plenary in Sonoma:

       Gerry, Drew, Dana, and Warner (and Caroline) will see if there
are other people who want to spend time on this.

> 8:50-9:00 Election for County Council.

       Drew counted 21 signatures.  Spencer will scan the lists and
check to ensure that they are registered Green in Santa Clara County.
Drew and Andrea expressed concerns about the lack of gender balance.
However, they agreed to stand aside.  We have consensus.  Spencer will
scan the lists and offer to send to Sanda Everett and Alex Chantz to
confirm that we've complied with the rules.

       For the future,there may be rule changes.  We need to stay on top
of the rule changes.

> 9:00-9:10 Appointment of new term Standing General Assembly GPSCC members

       Warner:  We are entitled to 5 members on this SGA.

       TheCC (state Coordinating Committee) 12 memberselected, 6 men, 6
women. The CC is responsible for scheduling meeting, dealing with the
Secretary of State, and other admin tasks -- to the extent that this can
be done with a monthly phone call and a fairly active email list.  The
self-asserted powers of the SGA are equal to a state-wide meeting.

       Are there any other volunteers for the SGA?

       Drew, Spencer and John have agreed to serve on the SGA.  Need
females but standing aside. Consensus.

> 9:10-9:15 Treasurer report -- pass the hat.

       previous balance:  $1,660.72 + 26 from tonight = $1,686.72.

> 9:15-9:20 Discuss showing "Over Troubled Waters"

       (someone should contact Wes for clarification)

> 9:20-9:25 Report on tabling/participation at March vs Monsanto, De
> Anza, Juneteenth

Juneteenth: 2-day event. Several good conversations with a few people.
Worthwhile.  Helped increase the awareness of the Green party among
African Americans and Latinos.

       DeAnza:

> 9:25-9:30 July tabling plans.
> Finally, Spencer has suggest we adopt the following resolution. We do
> not have time to do it justice at this meeting. We could either a)
> refer it to County Council if we feel it is non-controversial, or b)
> agendize for 20 minutes or more in July when we have more time.
>
> /"The Green Party of Santa Clara County supports the following
> initiatives for electoral reform:  Overturning Citizens United,
> citizen-funded election and news, the US and California Disclose Acts,
> the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (that requires
> participating states to commit all their electoral votes to the
> candidate who wins the popular vote), and Instant-runoff voting (as
> outlined in the Wikipedia article on "Electoral reform in the United
> States"). The Green Party of Santa Clara County will collaborate with
> all other organizations working to pass these issues including getting
> supporting resolutions passed at local and state levels as
> appropriate.  This includes in particular Move to Amend and Rootstrikers."
>
> /

//What have we already passed on this?  What is in the state and
national party platforms?

> /
> /
> //