[GPSCC-chat] Obama and the War on Terror

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 29 17:19:19 PDT 2013

Paul George is a very well-organized speaker and he's had a month to reflect on Obama's talk.  Last time I saw Paul speak it was to about 75 people in Mountain View about the economic crash.  The mayor was there.  Within a few weeks the City Council of Mountain View had passed a resolution in favor of amending the Constitution to end corporate personhood.

This should be a very informative and thoughtful talk.

Did the President's National Security Speech Really Change Anything?             A talk by
 Paul George
 Director, Peninsula Peace and Justice Center             On
 May 23, President Barack Obama gave a major policy speech on the
so-called war on terror. It was, on the surface at least, a clear and
welcome call for a change. It was also clear that Obama was responding
to tremendous public pressure to end the policies of his reviled
predecessor, something he has failed to do thus far. But how far does
his new policy outline go toward actually ending the perpetual war that
has gripped our nation since 9/11? And what might the actual new
national security program look like? In this talk, our speaker will dig
deep into the President's address, keeping the historic context in mind,
 to find out if our country's endless war might actually be ending.
             Paul
 George has been a grassroots human rights activist and organizer for
over 40 years. He is the director of Peninsula Peace and Justice Center,
 the Peninsula's leading activist organization. Paul is a frequent
public speaker on a range of topics. Audiences have been enthusiastic
about his sharp analyses and clear explanations of complex national
policies.             Sponsored by the Humanist Community in Silicon Valley
 Sunday, June 30, 11:00 am
 Palo Alto High School. Student Center
 50 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto
 Free and open to all. Wheelchair accessible.