[GPSCC-chat] For the March 28 Agenda

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Fri Mar 15 09:45:20 PDT 2013

Hi Warner,

Although it was not reflected well in the minutes, the Feb 28 meeting decided to rediscuss on Mar. 28 the question of concentrating our work on two major issues. Tentatively, the two issues that drew the most support - both at this meeting, and at an earlier special meeting called to begin the discussion - were climate change and single payer health care. The question of Middle East peace was also raised.

It was deliberately decided to hold over a final decision until March 28 so that everyone would have a chance to think it over, comment, etc., so this needs to be agendized.

In order to make room, I suggest considerably shortening the County Council and SGA discussions. I object to long, poorly prepared bylaw discussions at general meetings, as they drive away newcomers. If we have to have bylaw discussions, let's assign an individual or committee to bring in a sharp, well-thought out proposal for a decision.

If we want to grow, I believe our meetings have to be consciously organized in such a way that we assume new people will be attending and will get energized and enthused. I am not sure we provided our Santa Clara students with such a meeting last month, and IMHO we should never let that happen again. Thanks!

Sandy