[GPSCC-chat] Proposal from Sandy Perry

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Mon Mar 25 16:11:25 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

Here is a written proposal that explains exactly what I want to discuss during the agenda point that Warner assigned to me on Thursday. It is not so much about speakers topics as about how to organize our work as a local party organization.

This is not new. I raised the idea at the January meeting, we discussed it at a special meeting at Caroline's house on Feb. 26, and we discussed it again at the Feb 28 meeting where we agreed to agendize it for this Thursday's meeting (to allow everyone to have time to think it over, make alternate proposals, etc.).

So here is my proposal:

I propose that our local GPSCC adopt two issue campaigns inorder to concentrate our local work, increase our impact, and grow: climatechange and single payer heath care.

This does not mean we would drop other issues or refrainfrom endorsing other causes. Above all, it does not mean any member has to stopdoing work he or she as an individual feels called to do.

It means we would devote more collective thought,discussion, planning, and meeting time to two campaigns with the idea of makinga breakthrough in expanding our ranks and influence. We would build our monthlymeeting agenda around planning how to advance our work around these issues.This would help to keep us grounded in life and death questions facing ourpeople, and make us more accessible for new members who want to get involved inconcrete activity.

This would not replace our ongoing tasks of running in localelections (where appropriate) and registering Green voters. These are notcampaigns per se but rather ongoing activity in which we should be engaged as amatter of course.

I propose climate change and single payer health carebecause they reflect our current interests, where we are already involved andhave connections, and at the same time where we need to go to secure a morediverse and effective social base. They balance our environmental and economicconcerns. I do not believe we have the capacity to adopt more than two issuecampaigns at the present time.

Although these two issues are respectively global andnational in scope, I believe we can and should find local projects to promotethem and help build local awareness and support. National and internationalmovements ultimately derive their power from deep grassroots activity at thelocal level.