[GPSCC-chat] Fw: [350SiliconValley] Upcoming Local Valero Protest - please give us your time preference

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Tue Mar 26 10:02:29 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Tom Malzbender <tom.malzbender at gmail.com>
To: 350SiliconValley at googlegroups.com
Sent: Sun, March 24, 2013 9:31:29 PM
Subject: [350SiliconValley] Upcoming Local Valero Protest - please give us your
time preference

Valero Boycott / Protest Plan

With a net worth of $40 Billion [1], the Koch Brothers are one of the most
effective forces behind climate denial in the United States [2]. Closely allied
to the Tea Party, they have a 20% stake in the Keystone XL pipeline, and are
powerful supporters of the Heartland Institute and other right-wing advocacy and
climate denial groups.

They also own 40% of Valero [3].

When Valero contributed $500,000 to attempt to defeat AB32 in 2010, there were
protests and boycotts throughout California [4]. Several of us in 350 Silicon
Valley are now organizing another protest/boycott of Valero here in Palo Alto,
and we are asking for your help.

Why protest Valero?

1) To communicate to consumers in Palo Alto that they have a choice in where
they buy gas, and that some of those choices support climate denial and
inaction.

2) To get press highlighting that Palo Alto wants action on climate change, and
we will use our consumer power to get it.

3) To shed light on the actions of oil companies, especially Valero, in funding
climate denial.

4) To motivate the oil industry, including Valero, to address climate change as
a legitimate problem.

When and Where?

We will be targetting one of 3 Valero gas stations in Palo Alto or Mountainview.
If you have a preference or opinion on this, please email me or include a
comment in the doodle poll below.

Time: please enter your preference for either a weekday at 5:30 PM, A Saturday
at 1 PM, or a Sunday at 1 PM at this doodle poll I've set up below:

http://doodle.com/qsxareccdfbt99vw
Logistics and Legality?
No one will be arrested at this event. Our protest will be entirely legal, and
we will exercise our right to protest. The City of Mountainview's Attorney's
Office has confirmed legality if we avoid blocking the sidewalk, posting signs
on public property,  vulgarity, etc.
Several of us are willing to help with making signs for the event.If you are
willing to set aside an hour of your time to join our protest, please take the
doodle poll above. If we do this a few times, there is no reason we can’t have a
few hundred people involved and have impact!

Thank you!

Tom