[GPSCC-chat] Should US get involved in Syria?

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 12:58:40 PDT 2013

Just as it happened in the case of Iraq, by allowing the issue to be framed as Should We or
Shouldn't We? or as Did They Use Sarin or Not? (with our intervention assumed if they did)
we starting the discussion having already yielded on the most important issue:  The USA has
no legal right to wage war on countries that are not threatening us militarily

It is the United Nations' job to determine if humanitarian interests justify sending troops.
The USA has no legal right to do so on its own.

This principle was trashed when Bush and Blair invaded Afghanistan, ostensibly in a search
posse to capture Osama bin Laden, but soon revealing their agenda to overthrow the
Afghan government.  According to Noam  Chomsky, at the time of the invasion the USA had
no evidence that Osama had done 9/11, and the mission creep to overthrow the government
was "totally illegal" (here's a five-minute video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mprzq1mA9Jk&list=UUCU5Ac7Vd7cqPk074nnKSTw&index=7

I don't remember any criticism of the Afghan invasion at the time, probably because the Taliban
government was despised around the world, but the law is supposed to protect the despised
as well as the respected.

Invasion of Syria, even for the best of reasons (yeah, right) would be illegal.  It should not even
be discussed as an option.

.