[GPSCC-chat] Fw: [gpca-forum] Fw: Dec. 4th: Statewide Mobilization to Fight Jail Expansion

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Wed Nov 20 11:23:54 PST 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: garden beekeeper <gardenbeekeeper at yahoo.com>
To: "gpca-forum at cagreens.org" <gpca-forum at cagreens.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:50 AM
Subject: [gpca-forum] Fw: Dec. 4th: Statewide Mobilization to Fight Jail Expansion

While I have my doubts about the viability of the GPCA due to the internal issues never being dealt with honestly, here is a current action by an organization that is doing the work that the Green Party should be doing.

Peace,

Will Yeager

Click here to RSVP
           Dear Will ,
On December 4th, Sheriffs throughout the state will be begging the Board of State and Community Corrections for millions of dollars to build more cages for our children. Come to Sacramento and help us show that communities across the state are united: No New Jails!

Over 33 of California's 58 counties have plans to build new jails.  While some of them claim to be reformers, we know we won't be able to pass sentencing reform or bring our loved ones home unless we stop building cages. These projects put our counties in fiscal jeopardy, and steal resources from the life-affirming programs and services that get people out of jail and keep them out.
What happens December 4th will determine whether counties build new jails or reduce their jail populations.

But, as usual, what they aren't counting on is us. We're going to pack the hearing room with as many activists as we can possibly mobilize.

Where: Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC), 660 Bercut Drive, Sacramento
When:Wed. Dec 4th, hearing starting at 9am, rally at 1pm, lobby visits in the afternoon.

These new jails will be around for decades to come - which means, in the words of a seasoned activist, that they're building cages for young people whose parents haven't even been born yet.
See you in Sacramento!

 Emily Harris
Statewide Coordinator

PS: If you haven't already, please chip in $26 to help fund travel from LA, Fresno, Orange County, Riverside, Santa Cruz and the Bay Area?

	* Would you like to be unsubscribed from our list? Click here to unsubscribe
	* Oakland Office: 1322 Webster St #210, Oakland CA 94612

	* LA Office: Chuco's Justice Center, 1137 E. Redondo Blvd,. LA CA 90302
	* Please click here to support our work with a donation          _______________________________________________gpca-forum mailing listgpca-forum at cagreens.orghttp://lists.cagreens.org/mailman/listinfo/gpca-forum