[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Mother. Hero. Prisoner.

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 14:39:52 PST 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Jasmine at Amnesty International USA <alerts at takeaction.amnestyusa.org>
To: John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:34 PM
Subject: Mother. Hero. Prisoner.

Human Rights Action - Amnesty International USA

 Yorm Bopha fought to protect other people’s right to housing. Now help get her home.

‘Since she’s been in prison, it’s like the warmth has gone. It’s like we’ve lost part of our body – our right arm.’ Yorm Bopha’s husband, Sakhorn.

Yorm Bopha is a Cambodian activist who peacefully but vocally challenged the local authorities and developers who were tearing her community apart. She is wife to Sakhorn and mother to Lyhour. And she is a prisoner in a Phnom Penh jail, convicted on false charges in order to keep her quiet.

Yorm Bopha has an appeal hearing this Friday, which could be her last chance for release. Act now to help get this courageous activist home.

Dear John,

Yorm Bopha is an inspiring person.

She took up a microphone and led local activists - most of whom are women - in resistance. She knew there were risks, but she did it for her community, her family and their future.

Help Get Yorm Bopha home so she can continue to defend her community's right to housing.

First the authorities began to threaten and harass Yorm Bopha. Then, in September 2012, she was arrested for planning an assault on two men.

Despite the lack of evidence linking her to the attack, she was convicted last December of "intentional violence with aggravating circumstances," and is serving a three-year sentence. She shares a cramped cell she with several other women. The prison rations are so poor that she relies on the food her family and community members bring her each week. Her hearing this Friday may be her last chance of release.

‘All I can think about is my mom. I want her to come out of prison quickly, to come home.' Yorm Bopha's son, Lyhour.

Yorm Bopha is being held unjustly - help get her home.

While Yorm Bopha is in prison, her family is suffering. Husband Sakhorn says without her around, the warmth has gone from their lives.

The heavy fine the family was forced to pay to her alleged victims has crippled them financially. With Sakhorn unable to work selling cloth due to ill health, their 10-year-old son Lyhour can no longer go to school. But he is inspired by his mom's activism and following in her footsteps by joining community marches for her release.

Join Sakhorn, Lyhour and their neighbors in Cambodia - sign our petition to call for Yorm Bopha's release.

We asked Sakhorn what your support would mean to him and Lyhour, and he told us: ‘It brings hope that my wife can be released... It shows us justice could exist.'

Please show that justice is possible- and help get Yorm Bopha home.

Thank you,

Jasmine Heiss
Individuals at Risk Campaigner
Amnesty International USA

P.S. Yorm Bopha's case is one of several in Amnesty's 2013 Write for Rights campaign. During Write for Rights, activists like you join together to keep mailing letters, tweeting, sending urgent emails - for as long as it takes to bring Yorm Bopha, and others like her, home. Sign up to Write for Rights!

© 2013 Amnesty International USA | 5 Penn Plaza, New York, NY 10001 | 212.807.8400
Please don't reply to this email. You can send questions through our online support system.

Remove yourself from this mailing.

Remove yourself from all mailings from Amnesty USA.