[GPSCC-chat] Are US National Security Policies Counterproductive?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Oct 9 21:20:12 PDT 2013

Hello, All:

       I believe that the current discussion of US government secrecy
rules avoids some critical background -- things done in secret and
largely covered up by our "lapdog press".  For example, Dilma Rousseff,
current President of Brazil, was tortured for nonviolent political
activities by a dictatorship that overthrew democracy in 1964 with
secret encouragement by US President Johnson.  Similarly, the Reagan
administration secretly gave weapons of mass destruction to Saddam
Hussein in the 1980s during the Iran-Iraq war, which he used against US
troops in the 1990-91 Gulf War.  Journalists are fired or harassed for
asking the wrong questions.  Green party activist Doug Stuber was
prevented from flying to Europe to buy art to sell in his store in North
Carolina apparently because he help organize one of Ralph Nader's
presidential campaigns.

        For further discussion and documentation of these and related
issues, see my blog re., "Are US National Security Policies
Counterproductive?" at
"http://sanjosepeace.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/are-us-national-security-policies-counterproductive/".

       Below please find emails I sent to Boxer, Feinstein and Lofgren
citing this blog asking for a more substantive review of US government
secrecy policies.  If you'd like to do more but are uncertain how,
please read the blog or contact me.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

p.s.  Might anyone be interested in helping convert this blog into a
video?  It's 533 words that could be read leisurely in 4.5 minutes and
illustrated with 150 - 200 slides and photos from Wikipedia and other
free sources.  I could easily overestimate the value of this, but I
think this blog contains a fairly unique and important message that I'm
not hearing elsewhere.  If you agree, I could use help in improving the
verbiage and converting into into a YouTube video that might stand a
chance of going viral and changing the terms of the debate on these issues.

Dear Sen. Boxer:

       Thank you for your efforts to end the war in Iraq.  How do you
stand on the secrecy rules that allowed administrations at least from
Eisenhower to Obama to conspire in secret to destroy democracy in
foreign countries?  You may know that Dilma Rousseff, current president
of Brazil was tortured for her nonviolent opposition to a dictatorship
that destroyed democracy there in 1964, with US President Johnson
stationing a naval battle group off their coast in case Gen. Kruel, the
coup leader, encountered unexpected difficulties.  Do you think US
secrecy laws should support that?

       Similarly, do you think the secret "No fly" list should have been
used to harass Sen. Kennedy or prevent a Green party organizer for Ralph
Nader to be prevented from flying to Europe to purchase art to sell in
his gallery?  Should "national security" be used to prevent the American
people from participating in treaty discussions that enhance the power
of international businesses at the expense of small businesses,
consumers, and employees?

       For similar questions, see my blog asking "Are US National
Security Policies Counterproductive?" at ...

Dear Sen. Feinstein:

       From your support for the Patriot and similar Acts, I wonder how
you felt about the routine harassment Sen. Kennedy receive from Homeland
Security?  Did you support the use of the "No fly" list to prevent an
organizer for Ralph Nader from flying anywhere?  What would you say to
Dilma Rousseff, President of Brazil, who says she was tortured for
nonviolent political activities by a dictatorship whose destruction of
democracy in 1964 was secretly encouraged by US president Johnson?  I
gather you also support the use of national security as an excuse to
keep secret details of international trade negotiations that increase
the power of multinational corporations at the expense of small
businesses, consumers, and employees?  For details behind these and
other similar cases with references to substantive documentation, please
see my blog re. "Are US National Security Policies Counterproductive?"
at ...

Dear Rep. Lofgren:

       Thanks for your concern about excessive secrecy in the US
government.  How do you feel about the claims by Brazilian President
Dilma Rousseff that she was tortured for nonviolent political activities
by a dictatorship that destroyed democracy there with the secret
encouragement of US President Johnson?  How do you feel about the rules
that allowed the Reagan administration to supply chemical and biological
warfare technology to Saddam Hussein to help him during the Iran-Iraq
war?  A report by Senators Riegle and d'Amato documented how he used
some of those weapons against US troops in the 1990-91 Gulf War.  How do
you think these rules should be changed?

       For more on my thoughts on this with references to research
citing more cases and substantive documentation, see my blog re. "Are US
National Security Policies Counterproductive?" at ...

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer