[GPSCC-chat] Ecuador event Friday at SJPC...

Carol Brouillet cbrouillet at igc.org
Thu Oct 10 12:15:15 PDT 2013

A friend of mine is very interested in this event, but can't go and
would love to hear a report back about it.  I'd like to attend, but I
can't go.  Is anyone planning on going and if so can they tell give
my friend who is - "involved w/efforts to stop petroleum extraction
from destroying Amazonian rainforest..."

>When Rafael Correa, an established economist, entered politics, he
>was a man on a mission. Elected as Ecuador's President in 2006, he
>quickly transformed a country with archaic structures into a social,
>independent, ecological and participative democracy. Ecuadoreans now
>have genuine reason to believe that the rigid structures of the past
>are no longer acceptable and that they have a voice.
>
> From the Yasuni Initiative, by which the country would no longer
> rely upon the exploitation of its natural oil resources, to the
> analyzing of the IMF debt structure, hear from Correa and other
> Ecuadorean leaders as they present alternatives regarding their
> political, ecological and economic status in the global marketplace
> and how they will put their people and the planet before profits.
>
>Suggested Donation $10 for food
>
>Food & Gathering
>6:30 PM
>Friday Oct. 11
>7:00 PM Presentation by Michelle Cordova, President of SJPJC and
>Writer for La Oferta
>7:15 PM Film
>
>Sponsored by Spanish For Activists at San Jose Peace & Justice Center

Carol Brouillet on behalf of Barbara Deutsch.