[GPSCC-chat] WAISTLINE TO SPEAK AT SILICON VALLEY DEBUG THURSDAY OCT 17 AT 6 PM

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Mon Oct 14 11:29:21 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may have heard Waistline speak in San Jose in 2011.Much has changed since then. This year he will address the deepening of oureconomic crisis, the moves toward a fascist system of government in Michigan,the growing response of people to defend their democracy and livelihood, andwhat we should be doing about. Since 2011, in two short years we have seen theemergence of Occupy, the repeal by popular vote of Michigan's emergency managerlaw, its reinstitution by a lame duck legislature shortly after, the adoptionof a "right to work" law in Michigan, the appointment of an emergencyfinancial manager over Detroit, and the declaration of bankruptcy by thatmanager.

Anyone who cares about the future of democracy, of unions, and ofhuman rights should consider joining this discussion! What is taking place inthe Rust Belt today is a threat to democracy and justice everywhere.

Sandy

THE ECONOMICTIDAL WAVE
THATSWAMPED DETROIT

Silicon Valley DeBug and the People’s Tribune Presenta Discussion with Waistline, Founding Member of Detroit’s League ofRevolutionary Black Workers.

Thursday, October 17 at 6 PM
SiliconValley DeBug, 701 Lenzen Ave., San Jose

Darryl “Waistline” Mitchell is a retired Chrysler worker, son of an auto worker, formerunion representative and grandfather of five. He was a founding member of DRUM(Dodge Revolutionary Union Movement) and later the League of RevolutionaryBlack Workers. He is the author of a new pamphlet entitled, “Detroit: A Historyof Struggle, a Vision of the Future”.

“Something has happened from thetime I was growing up and the kind of society we have now. I was part of thelast generation of the great industrial middle class of America. Once upon atime, people in America made money. We made money in this town. That's not thecase today. Something has happened. Sooner or later we have to figure out whatthat is.”