[GPSCC-chat] Call For Agenda Items GPSCC Meeting Thursday October 24th

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Oct 19 09:58:25 PDT 2013

       1.  GPCA Plenary delegate recruitment and selection.  (15-20
minutes?)

       2.  Green party endorsing candidates for state office. Between
November 17 and 24, our delegates to the Standing General Assembly (Jim
Doyle, Drew Johnson, John Thielking, Betsy and me) are supposed to vote
on endorsing candidates and issues as outlined in an email I sent to
this list on Oct. 9, 1:52 AM, subj:  "GPCA endorsements for June 2014
primary, Coordinating Committee, initiatives".  There will likely be
discussion of this at the plenary, and we need to instruct our SGA
delegates on how to vote at our meeting Nov. 24 -- if not earlier.  I
suggest we have a 10 minute discussion of this at this meeting with a
tentative decision and instruction to delegates and everyone else
regarding how to complete this decision process with minimal time on
Nov. 24.  (Announcement with brief discussion:  5 minutes)

       3.  Prop 14 has in essence transformed the primary into the only
election for minor parties.  We can appear on the general election
ballot only if we come in first or second in the primary.  That strongly
encourages minor parties to coordinate with one another to the maximum
extent that their membership will allow.  We cannot control which
candidates pull papers and file to run, but we can control endorsements
and recruitment of candidates to file papers.  There was discussion of
this in the email list of the GPCA Standing General Assembly
<gpca-votes at cagreens.org>.  Sanda Everette indicated there have already
been contacts between the statewide Coordinating Committee of the
California Greens and representatives of Peace and Freedom and
Libertarian parties.  Sanda said, "We were hoping that there could be a
full statewide slate with candidates running from the three parties and
no one competing with another third party candidate."

             RESOLUTION:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County will
attempt to contact other minor parties in Santa Clara County, attend
their meetings, and invite them to ours for the following purposes:

                   3.1.  The Santa Clara Greens will agree to endorse
candidates of other minor parties for races where we do not have our own
candidate.  "Minor parties" in this case will refer primarily to the
Peace and Freedom and the Libertarian parties.

                   3.2.  The Santa Clara Greens will attempt to
coordinate with other minor parties to develop joint procedures for
recruiting candidates to run for offices in a way that can maximize our
chances of winning.

             TIME ESTIMATE:  15 minutes?

       4.  Confirm Green Party December meeting on the 19th
(announcement with discussion:  5 minutes)

       5.  PROPOSED:  SCC GREEN BLOG (see my email to this group stamped
10/15/2013 10:26 PM, subj:  SCC Green Blog?):

             PROPOSED:  The Santa Clara Greens will authorize the
creation of a blog on its web site.  The party will elect at least two
blog editors.  At least one editor (different from the author) must
approve any text posted as a blog.  All blogs must be consistent with
the ten key values and be labeled as the opinion of the author and not
necessarily a position of the Green Party of Santa Clara County.  Also,
claims that might be controversial should be justified with a footnote
giving a reference to an appropriate source with not links when
appropriate web sites are available.

             TIME ESTIMATE:  10 minutes

       6.  Sponsoring a local screening of Gar Alperovitz's "Next
American Revolution".  This possibility was discussed in emails to this
list from Drew and me Oct. 6, subj:  'Re: [GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [gpca-forum]
Free copy of Gar Alperovitz's "Next American Revolution" DVD for local
Green Party screenings'.

             DISCUSSION:  Should we do this?  With whom should we try to
co-sponsor?  Who has energy to try to help organize something in this area?

             TIME ESTIMATE:  10 minutes.

       That's my list.

       Spencer

On 10/18/2013 4:22 PM, WB4D23 at aol.com wrote:
> October 18, 2013
> Folks!  The next Green Party of Santa Clara County general monthly
> meeting will be next Thursday, October 24th.
> At the September meeting I agreed to prepare a draft agenda.
> Please post your proposals to this list. Please remember to identify
> whether the item is a report, a discussion item, or a decision item.
> List who will be the presenter(s) and how much time you think should
> be given to the item.  Remember that we try to limit meetings to two
> hours maximum and that there will be many items on the agenda.  If you
> are proposing a specific proposal, please post the full text of your
> proposal to be included in the draft agenda.
> Warner

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.