[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: [gpca-forum] Don Macleay, Oakland Green former candidate quote on Jerry Brown's veto of an afordable housing requirment for developers.

Drew rainbeaufriend at riseup.net
Tue Oct 22 05:19:00 PDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
From: Greg Jan <gregjan4 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Sun Oct 20 19:47:33 PDT 2013
To: "mfeinstein at feinstein.org" <mfeinstein at feinstein.org>, "gpca-forum at cagreens.org" <gpca-forum at cagreens.org>
Subject: [gpca-forum] Don Macleay,	Oakland Green former candidate quote on Jerry Brown's veto of an	afordable housing requirment for developers.

Don Macleay <don at oaklandgreens.org> wrote:

Those of us who had Mr. Brown as mayor for two terms should not be surprised at this recent undercutting of public housing.

As mayor he led up a 10,000 new people downtown campaign that had no provisions for those he displaced.  Projects from that time were designed to bring in upwardly mobile, higher income residents in and did not value the existing residents; we did not even count the displaced, nor subtract them from the goal of reaching 10,000 new people downtown.  Those same projects did protect the positions of the private sector investors and were structured to keep the risk in public hands.

As governor he led the dissolution of the redevelopment agencies.  There were good reasons to do that, but again, it was done without any serious replacement for the support redevelopment agencies provided to public, low cost housing.

Over the past years we have observed a shift to the right from Mr. Brown.  His definition of what is “meaningfully” and what is “viable” has sounded more and akin to the definition a real estate investor would use.

Now that we do not have redevelopment as a tool Mr. Brown is now willing to veto this modest low cost housing requirement and is worried about the burden it places on wealthy real-estate developers. He does not consider the housing that would be provided by this measure significant.  It would be very significant for those communities that need a decent place to live near their employment,  especially as now working class people are being priced out of whole communities by real estate inflation.

I think Mr. Brown  has made it clear  his priorities lie with the investors and developers  and that low income residents in need of housing, is not who he is willing to help.

Don Macleay
don at oaklandgreens.org
510 290-1200
http://oaklandgreens.org/don/