[GPSCC-chat] Immigrant Rights in Santa Clara County meeting with Cindy Chavez, Oct. 29, First Unitarian Church

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Oct 22 05:42:03 PDT 2013

Hello, All:

       The Forum for Immigrant Rights and Empowerment (FIRE) is
organizing a meeting with Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez for
oct 29 7pm at the First Unitarian church in San José to share with her
the desire of FIRE members to support the current Santa Clara County
policy to NOT participate in the "Secure Communities" program of
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) unless the US Federal
Government explicitly pays the County for incremental expenses.

       This raises two questions:

             1.  Would any of you care to attend and / or share this
information with anyone interested?  FIRE does not have an official
announcement yet;  basic information appears below.

             2.  Could we please add an agenda item for the meeting
tomorrow evening to discuss whether the Green Party of Santa Clara
County wishes to be part of FIRE (which would include being listed as a
member FIRE for this event)?  I'd estimate 5-10 minutes:  This should be
a no-brainer.  If it's not, we may not be able to get consensus.

RESOLVED:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County wishes to be a member
of the Forum for Immigrant Rights and Empowerment (FIRE).

DISCUSSION:

       1.  Being a member would imply being listed as such in the
announcement for for the Oct. 29 event.

       2.  FIRE, you may know, is the successor organization to the
coalition that helped enact the current policy of not honoring requests
from ICE unless the federal government explicitly paid for incremental
expenses incurred by the county for doing this.  The feds have refused
to do so, claiming they are already supplying money to help local law
enforcement.  FIRE research notes that the alleged 2-day holds under
this "Secure Communities" program have averaged roughly 20 days in other
jurisdictions.  Some people have been held for months and have
successfully sued the government over illegal detention.

       3.  The current policy is opposed by DA Rosen, Sheriff Smith,
City Councilmember Olivario, and others including the San José Mercury
News.  They have cited the case of Martha Casillas murdered allegedly by
her estranged husband, Mario Chavez, while out on bail from threatening
his youngest son with a knife
(http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_24069740/san-jose-man-jailed-fatally-stabbing-estranged-wife).
The Mercury said this was NOT a Willie Horton issue.  I agree, but the
Mercury has that upside down:  I hated the 1988 Willie Horton ad that
helped win that election for GHW Bush.  However, that ad was relevant to
that campaign, because Horton committed other crimes after having been
released under a program supported by Bush's opponent, presidential
candidate Dukakis.  In the Casillas-Chavez case, Casillas would likely
have been killed anyway if Chavez had been a US citizen
(http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_24232857/oct-4-readers-letters-banning-lead-bullets-government).

       Spencer