[GPSCC-chat] Draft Agenda for GPSCC Meeting Thursday October 24th

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Wed Oct 23 12:24:46 PDT 2013

GREEN PARTY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY
Draft Agenda for Monthly General Meeting October 24, 2013
San  Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 South 7th Street, San Jose, CA
(Between Santa Clara and San Fernando  Streets)
7:00 pm – Eat and chat (No speaker announced at time of  preparation of
this draft agenda)
7:30 pm – Begin meeting
Select Facilitator, Note taker, Time keeper, and Vibes watcher(s); Select
Agenda Preparer for next meeting; Affirm or modify draft agenda (5 Minutes)
Introductions and Announcements (10 Minutes)
Treasurer’s Report – Jim Doyle (5 minutes)
Report  on status of P. O. Box – Continued fromn September meeting – Tian
Harter
(5  minutes)
Discussion  and decision re November and December meetings – November 24th
is
the  Thanksgiving holiday; Meet on December 19th? – Spencer Graves (5
minutes)
Report  on November 16-17th Santa Rosa GPCA Plenary Agenda; Recruit and
appoint Plenary Delegates/Alternates; Discuss SGA issues –
Warner  Bloomberg (30 Minutes)
Discussion  and Proposal to Instruct GPSCC Standing General Assembly
Delegates re voting for GPCA endorsements  of state office candidates – Spencer
Graves (15 minutes)
Notes:  Current plans are for SGA delegates to  vote on GPCA endorsement of
GPCA state office candidates during the week  immediately following
the  Plenary.  This meeting will be the  last GPSCC general meeting before
the  voting period ending November  24th.  The GPSCC SGA delegates  are:
Jim  Doyle, Drew Johnson, John Thielking, Betsy Wolfe-Graves
and  Spencer Graves.
Proposal  regarding GPSCC endorsements of local candidates – Spencer Graves
(15 minutes) –  see text of proposal following these agenda proposals
Health  Care Committee Report  –  (10 Minutes)
Environment  Committee Report --  (10  Minutes)
Discussion of status of tabling supplies – (10 Minutes)
Plan  for Tabling – Need to identify event coordinators -- (15 Minutes)
Downtown  Health Fair October 25th
Jr. Statesman November  16th
Mercy  Killers (play) November 16th
Holiday  Peace Fair December 7th
Others?
Proposal  re GPSCC blog – Spencer Graves
(10  Minutes)  See text proposal  below.

Discussion  about sponsoring a local screening of Gar Alperovitz's "Next
American  Revolution" – Spencer Graves (10 minutes)
(2 Hours  30 Minutes Estimated Cumulative Times. Goal: Adjourn by 9:30 pm)
Agenda  Preparer’s Comment:  There is “too  much” on this agenda.  Are
there  items that can
wait  until the next meeting?
###
Spencer Graves Proposal re GPSCC local  candidates endorsements.  Prop 14
has in essence transformed the primary into the only election for minor
parties.  We can appear on the  general election ballot only if we come in
first or second in the primary.  That strongly encourages minor parties  to
coordinate with one another to the maximum extent that their membership will
allow.  We cannot control which  candidates pull papers and file to run, but
we can control endorsements and  recruitment of candidates to file papers.
There was discussion of this in the email list of the GPCA Standing  General
Assembly <gpca-votes at cagreens.org>.  Sanda Everette indicated there have
already been contacts between the statewide Coordinating Committee of the
California Greens and representatives of Peace and Freedom and Libertarian
parties.  Sanda said, "We were  hoping that there could be a full statewide
slate with candidates running from  the three parties and no one competing with
another third party candidate."
RESOLUTION:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County  will attempt to contact
other minor parties in Santa Clara County, attend their  meetings, and
invite them to ours for the following purposes:
1.  The Santa Clara Greens  will agree to endorse candidates of other minor
parties for races where we do  not have our own candidate.  "Minor
parties" in this case will refer primarily to the Peace and Freedom and the
Libertarian parties.
2.  The Santa Clara Greens  will attempt to coordinate with other minor
parties to develop joint procedures  for recruiting candidates to run for
offices in a way that can maximize our  chances of winning.
Spencer  Graves Proposal re GPSCC blog.
PROPOSED:  The Santa Clara  Greens will authorize the creation of a blog on
its web site.  The party will elect at least two blog  editors.  At least
one editor  (different from the author) must approve any text posted as a
blog.  All blogs must be consistent with the  ten key values and be labeled as
the opinion of the author and not necessarily a  position of the Green Party
of Santa Clara County.  Also, claims that might be controversial  should be
justified with a footnote giving a reference to an appropriate source  with
not links when appropriate web sites are available.