[GPSCC-chat] GPSCC Meeting Thursday October 24th

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Oct 24 23:03:35 PDT 2013

Hello, All:  Below please find minutes of tonight's meeting.  Please
post any additions or corrections to this list.  Thanks.  Spencer

On 10/23/2013 12:24 PM, WB4D23 at aol.com wrote:

> *G**REENPARTYOF SANTACLARACOUNTY*
>
> DraftAgendaforMonthlyGeneralMeetingOctober 24,2013
>
> San JosePeaceandJusticeCenter,48South7thStreet,San Jose,CA (Between
> Santa ClaraandSan Fernando Streets)
>
> 7:00pm -- Eat andchat (No speaker announced at time of preparation of
> this draft agenda)
>
> 7:30pm -- Beginmeeting
>
> SelectFacilitator:  Warner
>

> Note taker:  Spencer
>

> ,Time keeper: John Thielking
>

> ,andVibes watcher(s):  Caroline
>

> ;SelectAgendaPreparerfor next meeting;  Warner
>

> ;Affirmor modifydraftagenda(5 Minutes)
>

> IntroductionsandAnnouncements(10Minutes)

Warner Bloomberg

Andrea Dorey

John Thielking

Joel Sarch, visiting from San Mateo

Spencer

Drew Johnson

Caroline Yacoub

Pete O'Reilly:  Path to War -- in the Philippines, China, ... Plus
Mother Agnes-Mariam from Syria

> Treasurer'sReport-- JimDoyle(5 minutes)
>

> Report on status of P. O. Box -- Continued fromn September meeting --
> Tian Harter
>
> (5 minutes)

       Tian is not here to report.  Warner got an unofficial

> Discussion and decision re November and December meetings -- November
> 24^th is
>
> the Thanksgiving holiday; Meet on December 19^th ? -- Spencer Graves
> (5 minutes)

       November 21 & December 19

Spencer to send out a separate email subj:  Notice:  Dates for November
& December meeting & put on our web site

> Report on November 16-17^th Santa Rosa GPCA Plenary Agenda; Recruit
> and appoint Plenary Delegates/Alternates; Discuss SGA issues --
>
> Warner Bloomberg (30Minutes)

       Sandy wants to attend.

       Four major discussion items:

             1.  Proposal that statewide candidate endorsements to be
handled by the Standard General Assembly.

             2.  Bylaws interpretation to have the SGA consider the
marijuana legalization initiative.  The Green Party endorsed a previous
version of this.

             3.  Report on the status of the Prop 14 litigation.

             4.  Sunday two session:  What should be in the party
statement in the voter information materials for the primary next June?

       Drew plans to attend.  Sandy.  Andrea.

       Warner might go;  would like a ride.

PROPOSED:  Sandy Perry, Andrea Dorey, Drew Johnson, Warner Bloomberg and
Brian Good (tentative) are appointed as delegates to the Plenary and the
County Council has the authority to appoint additional delegates and
alternates.

Discussion:  We are allowed 5 delegates.

We have consensus.

*** Spencer will send an official email to agenda-team at cagreens.org with
the names of our delegates, as drafted by Warner.

*** CONTACT WARNER OR THE COUNTY COUNCIL IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE A DELEGATE
OR ALTERNATE.

> Discussion and Proposal to Instruct GPSCC Standing General Assembly
> Delegates re voting for GPCA endorsements of state office candidates
> -- Spencer Graves (15 minutes)
>
> Notes:Current plans are for SGA delegates to vote on GPCA endorsement
> of GPCA state office candidates during the week immediately following
>
> the Plenary.This meeting will be the last GPSCC general meeting before
>
> the voting period ending November 24th.The GPSCC SGA delegates are:
>
> Jim Doyle, Drew Johnson, John Thielking, Betsy Wolf-Graves
>
> and Spencer Graves.

       Put this on the agenda for Nov. 24.

> Proposal regarding GPSCC endorsements of local candidates -- Spencer
> Graves (15 minutes) -- see text of proposal following these agenda
> proposals

       Put this on the agenda for Nov. 24.

WARNER:  In the past we've done two things:  (1) Have candidates meet
the group, request an endorsement, and answer questions. (2) We have in
the passed made "recommendations" esp. re. candidates of other parties
without official "endorsements".

> Health Care Committee Report -- (10Minutes)

CAROLINE:  Has been to several health care things recently.  I still do
not understand "the single payer" groups have split into two over strategy.

SANDY and Joel:  There are ~20 different single payer groups. We should
not have a single payer movement without the nurses. The main emphasis
is to get the community involved.  The split does not seem great nor
irreconcilable:  The different groups attend each other's meetings and
support each other's initiatives.

       Healthcare for all (HCA) with other groups formed the Single
Payer Coalition.

> Climate Change Committee Report --(10 Minutes)

     Primarily Gerry:  350 Silicon Valley and CCL

       Gerry's not here, and we don't have much info.

> Discussionofstatusoftablingsupplies-- (10 Minutes)

       Holiday Peace Fair -- there are tickets & fliers to hand out.
(full page, half page, quarter page)

       Caroline would love to have some new, current literature about
current events to print and distribute.

> Plan forTabling-- Need to identify event coordinators -- (15Minutes)
>
> Downtown Health Fair October 25th

        9 AM - 1 PM, St. Joseph Cathedral.

       Sandy:  Sponsored by Low Income Health Center, CHAM, and Supv.
Cortese.

> Jr.StatesmanNovember 16^th

       "Junior States" is the official title.

       John and Caroline are doing it.  The kids make their own
buttons.  At Marriott Hotel near Great America in Santa Clara.

       Caroline will send an email re. this.

> ^
>
> Announcement:  Mercy Killers (play) November 16th

       At the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers about the
trouble a guy has had getting health care for his wife.

> Holiday Peace Fair December 14th ^

11 - 4

^      Volunteers:  John to table.  Drew probable, possibly also Brian.

Drew, John and Brian might be able to go early.

Plus someone to provide a desert.

United Methodist Church Hamilton and Winchester.

> ^
>
> Others?

       Sandy:  Move to Amend event Nov. 19:  David Cobb.

Concerns:  Warner:  (1) The actual proposal is very vague.  (2) They are
unclear about whether they actually want an initiative. ... (others I
didn't catch).

Affirmation:  Drew:  We need to overturn Citizens United. However, the
MTA group needs to work out the details.

Response:  This is an actual ballot measure for Nov. 2014.  They need to
get it approved in ~June 2014.  Two parts:

       Contingency:  If a 28th amendment passed, then ...

       Democracy Day:  Beginning in 2015, the County Board of
Supervisors will have a Democracy Day in March ... .

(Sandy can clarify).

MODIFIED PROPOSAL:  The County Council will consider the exact proposal
for the Nov. 19 event and the ballot initiative.

> Proposal re GPSCC blog -- Spencer Graves
>
> (10 Minutes)See text proposal below.

This was referred to the County Council with some comments.

       Warner was concerned that we not defame the Santa Clara Greens by
publishing spurious material.

       Spencer replied that the proposal has multiple protections
against that.  First, the blog will be labeled with a disclaimer that
the content represents "the opinion of the author and not necessarily a
position of the Green Party of Santa Clara County."  Second, the Blog
Editors (initially Spencer Graves and Betsy Wolf-Graves) with have veto
power over what is published. Third, if objections of appropriate
strength or substance are registered with the Blog Editors, a particular
blog will be removed.  This won't fix the problem for people who have
already seen it but will minimize the damage for the future.  The
alternative is being so paranoid that nothing gets done. [Spencer will
ask Warner for suggestions regarding exact wording of said disclaimer
and general blog policy.]

       County Council members Drew Johnson and John Thielking joined
with Spencer in voting for the proposal.  Those votes with that of Betsy
Wolf-Graves produces the 80% of the County Council required for passage.

> Discussion about sponsoring a local screening of Gar Alperovitz's
> "Next American Revolution" -- Spencer Graves (10 minutes)
>
> (2Hours30 Minutes EstimatedCumulativeTimes.Goal:Adjournby 9:30pm)
>
> Agenda Preparer's Comment:There is "too much" on this agenda.Are there
> items that can
>
> wait until the next meeting?

PROPOSED:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County endorses the efforts of
the Forum for Immigrant Rights and Empowerment (FIRE) to retain the
current policy of Santa Clara County to opt out of the national Secure
Communities program and refuse to honor the request from Immigration and
Customs Enforcement (ICE) for temporary detention of up to 48 hours of
individuals detained by law enforcement for other reasons.

DISCUSSION:  In practice 48 hours (2 days) has become on average 20
days.  Many individuals have been held much longer without charges.
Other jurisdictions have lost multimillion dollar lawsuits for illegal
detention.  The local government had to pay, not the feds.

*** There was a consensus to support FIRE in this effort.

> ###
>
> Spencer Graves Proposal re GPSCC local candidates endorsements.Prop 14
> has in essence transformed the primary into the only election for
> minor parties.We can appear on the general election ballot only if we
> come in first or second in the primary.That strongly encourages minor
> parties to coordinate with one another to the maximum extent that
> their membership will allow.We cannot control which candidates pull
> papers and file to run, but we can control endorsements and
> recruitment of candidates to file papers.There was discussion of this
> in the email list of the GPCA Standing General Assembly
> <gpca-votes at cagreens.org>.Sanda Everette indicated there have already
> been contacts between the statewide Coordinating Committee of the
> California Greens and representatives of Peace and Freedom and
> Libertarian parties.Sanda said, "We were hoping that there could be a
> full statewide slate with candidates running from the three parties
> and no one competing with another third party candidate."
>
> RESOLUTION:The Green Party of Santa Clara County will attempt to
> contact other minor parties in Santa Clara County, attend their
> meetings, and invite them to ours for the following purposes:
>
> 1.The Santa Clara Greens will agree to endorse candidates of other
> minor parties for races where we do not have our own candidate."Minor
> parties" in this case will refer primarily to the Peace and Freedom
> and the Libertarian parties.
>
> 2.The Santa Clara Greens will attempt to coordinate with other minor
> parties to develop joint procedures for recruiting candidates to run
> for offices in a way that can maximize our chances of winning.
>
> Spencer Graves Proposal re GPSCC blog.
>
> PROPOSED:The Santa Clara Greens will authorize the creation of a blog
> on its web site.The party will elect at least two blog editors.At
> least one editor (different from the author) must approve any text
> posted as a blog.All blogs must be consistent with the ten key values
> and be labeled as the opinion of the author and not necessarily a
> position of the Green Party of Santa Clara County.Also, claims that
> might be controversial should be justified with a footnote giving a
> reference to an appropriate source with not links when appropriate web
> sites are available.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.