[GPSCC-chat] About GPSCC candidate endorsements

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Wed Oct 23 12:53:12 PDT 2013

October 23, 2013

In the past, the GPSCC has endorsed various local candidates  who have
taken the initiative to request our endorsement and personally attend a  GPSCC
monthly meeting.  I think that should continue to be a minimum  requirement.

In the past, the GPSCC also has created lists of "recommended"  candidates
-- especially for nonpartisan elections by creating a committee or
delegating to the County Council the role to review public information and/or
conduct individual interviews.  The results were then posted on our web  page
(without comments about candidates not considered or not recommened).   I also
think that was a good alternative to "endorsements".

I have concerns about creating a policy about "endorsing"  nonGP candidates
-- even under the current Prop 14 circumstances.  On the  state office
level of candidates, it now appears that "holes" in the ballot for  any of the
smaller political parties are going to result from "natural  selection" of
the respective self-selection of candidates.  In the GPCA,  there is a
statewide lack of candidates for legislative races.  That  includes Santa Clara
County.  We have had this issue/"problem" for  decades.  People also should
understand that it is very, very, very late in  the 2014 election cycle to
begin talking about "recruiting"  candidates.

Warner