[GPSCC-chat] End banks deathgrip on your money

John Thielking peacemovies at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 08:29:48 PDT 2014

Drew,

With all due respect I am proof positive that not just anyone can get a
checking account with just any credit union. I got turned down by Tech CU
because they said I had a "derogatory" Chex Systems report. When I ordered
my "report" and score it had very little in it. It had an item for my
ordering checks from Chase and an item for my opening an account with
Citibank.  Nothing else. Not even a report of my 2 overdrafts with Chase.
My "score" (which cost me $10 to obtain) was some 760+ out of a possible
999. I hope you are right in that literally anyone can get an account at
Meriwest.  I would try them too, but since I'm moving to Eugene in June I'm
planning to try to open an account with a local credit union when I get
there.  I hope you aren't simply being insulted by my use of the word
"bank" when I attempt to make a groundbreaking suggestion about how all
online accounts weather at a credit union or a bank can be made inherently
secure, instead of the default for the current system of online banking,
er, I mean online credit unioning which to the best of my knowledge is
inherently insecure. Do you know if your credit union offers you the option
to set up your online access to your account so that you can only view your
account balance and transaction history and not be able to transfer funds?
Is this set up only available by walking into a branch and setting it up
(and can't be switched back and forth online between no funds transfer
available and funds transfer available?) If they do that, that's great. I
would hope to find a CU like that in Eugene. Then I can set all my
passwords that I use on the Internet (except for my bitcoin exchange
password) to literally be what I have heard on the news is most often used
by everyone else, ie "password" or "123456789" and I would never lose a
penny due to ID theft online, at least so long as https remains secure and
my credit card numbers are safe.. That is what I call an "inherently
secure" account. If I can't find a CU that offers that feature for an
online account, then my previous comments stand about wanting to do a
community project where someone we know (or heaven forbid, us ourselves)
programs a new type of User Interface that, if you really insist, only CU's
can use so they can knock Banks flat on their asses by stealing all of
their customers due to the CU's superior security for the new limited
access accounts for online credit unioning.  Let's do this thing and stop
bickering over when it is not OK to use the term "bank" in a conversation,
or whatever else it was that was ticking you off just now.  You are right!
Green is GO! Go get 'em baby!

John Thielking