[GPSCC-chat] SPAM Alert: tnharter at aol.com has been hacked. Don't open it!

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Mon Apr 14 05:26:43 PDT 2014

Hi, Tian, at al.:

       I suggest you not give up on changing your password.

       The Heartbleed bug makes it easier for criminal organizations to
guess your passwords and answers to your security questions.  Cameron
noted that several criminal organizations collate data stolen via
Heartbleed with data someone (not necessarily you) entered into a
genealogical database or posted on Facebook or someplace else.  They
might get enough to access your bank account or obtain a credit card in
your name.

       I know a victim of a similar scam:  A thief had taken out a
credit card in the name of my friend, who almost got stuck with the
bills.  My friend took the problem to the police, who managed to find
the thief and get a conviction.  My friend ultimately did not have to
pay the bills, but it took a lot of work to avoid paying.  The entire
experience produced a lot of anxiety.

       Cameron is correct:  Heartbleed is real.  Do something real -- or
run an unacceptable risk of being victimized.  For my suggestions on
what to do, see Wikiversity, "Managing risk from cyber attacks"
(https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Managing_risk_from_cyber_attacks).

       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD