[GPSCC-chat] Cherries

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon Apr 14 07:17:42 PDT 2014

I went to a fruit growers meeting on Saturday.  Interesting topic was
the fact that no one has good cherry crops in the South County this
year.  Not in Morgan Hill, not in Gilroy, not even down in Hollister
(San Benito County).

Lest you think that the culprit might be colony collapse disorder in
bees, or drought, the information that I was given by a respected Morgan
Hill Grower is simply that it was too warm this winter... or conversely,
there was not enough hours of chill (850 for many varieties) to trigger
the right response in most cherry varieties. So, localvores beware,
cherries will be much more expensive if they are available at all before
Washington crops come in... and those will not be local.

Why do I post this?  Because both the drought and the effect of rising
temperatures on food prices are both features of climate change that the
scientists have been warning us about.
--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/