[GPSCC-chat] Quarreling Over Which Energy Sources To Use To Generate Electricity Is A Distraction

John Thielking peacemovies at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 09:41:33 PDT 2014

Subject: Quarreling Over Which Energy Sources To Use To Generate
Electricity Is A Distraction.

I have another thought on this whole discussion about ending nuclear power
generation of electricity. If you take the possible effects of net CO2
emissions that would occur if the world switched over to 100% organic
agriculture, this whole discussion about which energy sources to use for
generating electricity could be seen as a distraction from the real issue.
For a discussion of this issue I invite you to view Thom Hartmann's latest
episode of The Big Picture, available on Youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnhm4gXoAYI

According to the person he interviewed on that episode, if we switched to
100% organic agriculture, we would end up sequestering 100% of a year's
emissions of CO2. Since the USDA standard for switching from labeling your
crop from conventional to "organic" is to let your fields lie fallow for 3
years without applying pesticides, the maximum length of time this should
take to accomplish, if we get cracking now everywhere, is only 3 years.

John Thielking