[GPSCC-chat] Fw: End the debt ceiling drama once and for all

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 13:49:05 PST 2014

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Rep. Mike Honda and Democracy for America <info at democracyforamerica.com>
To: John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 12:07 PM
Subject: End the debt ceiling drama once and for all

Congressman Mike Honda is a Vice Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and a DFA-endorsed candidate. He started a petition on our YouPower platform to end the current system of crisis legislating over the debt ceiling. Click here to sign Congressman Honda's important and timely petition. -- Charles Chamberlain, Democracy for America
________________________________

John --

Here we go again. With a February 7 deadline looming, the United States is yet again in danger of hitting the debt ceiling, potentially defaulting, and thus sending the global economy into chaos.

Yes, you've seen this movie before. And it isn't getting any better. Democrats in Congress are prepared to raise the debt ceiling but it appears conservative ideologues are getting ready to force the country into yet another economic cliffhanger.

Raising the debt ceiling, once considered a perfunctory duty of Congress to pay our bills, is now seen by reckless Tea Party Republicans as an opportunity to threaten and extort concessions from Democrats. This brinkmanship isn't just selfish and irresponsible -- it's deeply dangerous.

Fortunately, there is a simple way we could end the hostage-taking once and for all: I've proposed legislation that would place responsibility for the debt ceiling squarely in the hands of the Treasury Department. Unless a super-majority of Congress intervened, the debt ceiling would be raised automatically and keep us safe from economic collapse whenever necessary. No drama involved.

Sound good to you? Then sign my YouPower petition today in support of ending the manufactured crisis legislating we have now -- and stop Tea Party Republicans from threatening our economy again.

Democracy for America endorsed my re-election campaign because they know I'll continue to fight to make government work better for all of us -- and requiring a congressional debt ceiling vote simply doesn't do that anymore. It may have made sense in a bygone era, but in today's contentious political climate it just introduces an unnecessary amount of risk into our system with absolutely no reward.

It is clear we can't trust Tea Party Republicans to value the full faith and credit of the United States over their own political ambitions. Our country desperately needs an adult in the room before these ideologues finally push us over the edge into a financial disaster.

Tell Congress to stop playing chicken with the American economy. Sign my YouPower petition now to stop the debt ceiling setup we have now.

Thank you for standing up to the Tea Party and their extremist agenda,

- Mike

Congressman Mike Honda
Paid for by Democracy for America, http://www.democracyforamerica.com/?t=4&akid=4396.2448636.tSN8bN and not authorized by any candidate. Contributions to Democracy for America are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.