[GPSCC-chat] Not Seeking Re-election To County Council

Brian snug.bug at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 20:58:00 PST 2014

Congratulations, John, for taking charge!  We'll miss you.  Eugene has a lot to offer.  Rep. Peter De Fazio
and Sen. Wyden, for instance, two of maybe eight federal legislators who are worth a damn. And the
Register-Guard occasionally does some actual journalism, the library downtown at the transit hub is real
nice, and the Williams Bakery Thrift Store right on Franklin at the E. end of the University grounds is a
godsend.  In July you can eat your way from one side of the town to the other on free wild blackberries.
Spencer Butte  and Mt. Pisgah are good local hiking; Siuslaw National Forest is just 30 miles toward the
coast, and the public lands start about 20 miles east of town and continue over the Cascades, across
the desert, and over the Rockies all the way to Casper, Wyoming,  It is, one of Ken Kesey's buddies used
to say, "a good place to be poor."

The pawnshops in Springfield are very competitive and the owners have known all their clients for years,
so new guys get great deals--buy three screwdrivers and you'll only get charged for two.

But if you (or a friend) drive a car with California plates, be aware that a favorite local sport is to loosen
the starter trigger wire so the car starts once, road shocks jiggle the wire loose, and the car won't start
the second time.  This has happened to me three times in Eugene.  It seems those guys enjoy Californicos'
company so much that they go to great trouble to encourage us to stick around!