[GPSCC-chat] Uranium on Amazon (was: Why We Should Not Worry About The Latest "WMDs in Iraq" Stories)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Jul 10 11:10:17 PDT 2014

Hello, All:

       John was correct:  The first two matches when I Googled for
"Uranium on Amazon" were small quantities sold for research purpose and
testing Geiger counters
(http://www.amazon.com/naturally-contains-Uraninite-radiation-detector/dp/B00CQ9LLR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405011818&sr=8-1&keywords=uranium+ore#productDescription
and http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM). The
second was is labeled 766 cpm (counts per minute).  If I computed
correctly, to get this many cpm, this container would have roughly 30
micrograms.  (For my calculations, see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m1D_WmOcmbcrZhK177G1NBWnITjht1dr72fn8UObuvc/edit?usp=sharing).

       If I understand correctly, the primary problem with uranium is
NOT radioactivity but toxicity, roughly like eating or inhaling lead.
See Wikipedia, "Uranium" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium).

       Spencer

On 7/10/2014 9:45 AM, John Thielking wrote:

> [...]

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126