[GPSCC-chat] Ongoing Drought

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Jul 10 12:17:47 PDT 2014

I checked reservoir levels just now:
Lexington (2nd largest reservoir)  is at 19.2 % of capacity.
Uvas is at 9.2 %.
Chesbro is at 4.0 %
Calero is at 45.5 %

Thankfully, the largest reservoir we have, Anderson, is at 62.9 % since
that is where water deliveries from the State Water Project eventually
arrive.

Yet, I have read that most of Silicon Valley is not conserving water as
requested.  In fact, the average useage in San Jose had gone up. We seem
to be ill prepared... maybe incapable of thinking about it... to deal
with an extended drought.  Is it time to shame our neighbors?  Is it
time to shame our City Officials?

And, there is a real surprise waiting for us all.  Since all of the
water infrastructure including it's operations, is funded by a user fee,
when the usage drops, the per unit fees will have to rise just to cover
costs.  One Bay Area Water district has already decided to deal with
this by implementing a "Drought Surcharge."

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and y $ou don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/