[GPSCC-chat] Ongoing Drought

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 16:47:06 PDT 2014

Wes Rolley wrote:
> I checked reservoir levels just now:
> Lexington (2nd largest reservoir)  is at 19.2 % of capacity.
> Uvas is at 9.2 %.
> Chesbro is at 4.0 %
> Calero is at 45.5 %
>
> Thankfully, the largest reservoir we have, Anderson, is at 62.9 % since
> that is where water deliveries from the State Water Project eventually
> arrive.

I just realized I don't know how the delivery system
works.  As far as I know, here in Palo Alto and further
up the peninsula we get all or most of our water from
the Hetch Hetchy.  But otherwise ...

Maybe in South County the water comes from the above
reservoirs and not from Hetch Hetchy?

Does it matter what the individual reservoirs have
or is just the sum total of water in all the
reservoirs?  For example if one were transport
1,000,000 gallons from Anderson to Chesbro, would it
make a differenc?

> Yet, I have read that most of Silicon Valley is not conserving water as
> requested.  In fact, the average useage in San Jose had gone up. We seem
> to be ill prepared... maybe incapable of thinking about it... to deal
> with an extended drought.  Is it time to shame our neighbors?  Is it
> time to shame our City Officials?

I think a lot of people figure "Why should I cut back when
my neighbor is not?"  This is another example of the
tragedy of the commons.

And I heard someone say that when they enforce mandatory
conservation, the amount allotted to each household depends
on the amount each household has been consuming.  So that
would provide an incentive to use more for now.

I think it is time to ask some serious questions of our
relevant public officials.

One thing I would like to know is, "If the drought continues
as it has been, and we keep consuming as we have been, when
with the water pipes run dry?".  If the answer were 10 years,
I think not many would take it seriously.  If the answer were
6 months, I think people would take it seriously.

Gerry