[GPSCC-chat] Uranium on Amazon

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Jul 10 16:10:00 PDT 2014

On 7/10/2014 11:10 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello, All:
>

>       John was correct:  The first two matches when I Googled for
> "Uranium on Amazon" were small quantities sold for research purpose
> and testing Geiger counters
> (http://www.amazon.com/naturally-contains-Uraninite-radiation-detector/dp/B00CQ9LLR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405011818&sr=8-1&keywords=uranium+ore#productDescription
> and http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM). The
> second was is labeled 766 cpm (counts per minute).  If I computed
> correctly, to get this many cpm, this container would have roughly 30
> micrograms.  (For my calculations, see
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m1D_WmOcmbcrZhK177G1NBWnITjht1dr72fn8UObuvc/edit?usp=sharing).
>

>       If I understand correctly, the primary problem with uranium is
> NOT radioactivity but toxicity, roughly like eating or inhaling lead.
> See Wikipedia, "Uranium" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium).
It is all in context, Spencer.   Doctoral research by Stephanie
Raymond-Whish at N. Ariz. Univ. established that Uranium is also an
estrogen mimic. That accounts for the rapid rise in cancer rates among
Navajo women when the US started to mine on the Navajo Reservation,
including at least 2 members of Raymond-Whish's family including her
mother. https://www.hcn.org/issues/371/17708

   I think that all members of Congress who vote for extended uses of
uranium should be wiling to have the female members of their families
drink groundwater from down slope of the old mining sites tailing ponds
and slag piles.
--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/