[GPSCC-chat] Uranium on Amazon

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Jul 10 22:20:12 PDT 2014

Hi, Wes:

On 7/10/2014 4:10 PM, Wes Rolley wrote:
> On 7/10/2014 11:10 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> Hello, All:
>>

>>       John was correct:  The first two matches when I Googled for
>> "Uranium on Amazon" were small quantities sold for research purpose
>> and testing Geiger counters
>> (http://www.amazon.com/naturally-contains-Uraninite-radiation-detector/dp/B00CQ9LLR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405011818&sr=8-1&keywords=uranium+ore#productDescription
>> and http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM). The
>> second was is labeled 766 cpm (counts per minute).  If I computed
>> correctly, to get this many cpm, this container would have roughly 30
>> micrograms.  (For my calculations, see
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m1D_WmOcmbcrZhK177G1NBWnITjht1dr72fn8UObuvc/edit?usp=sharing).
>>

>>       If I understand correctly, the primary problem with uranium is
>> NOT radioactivity but toxicity, roughly like eating or inhaling
>> lead.  See Wikipedia, "Uranium" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium).
> It is all in context, Spencer.   Doctoral research by Stephanie
> Raymond-Whish at N. Ariz. Univ. established that Uranium is also an
> estrogen mimic. That accounts for the rapid rise in cancer rates among
> Navajo women when the US started to mine on the Navajo Reservation,
> including at least 2 members of Raymond-Whish's family including her
> mother. https://www.hcn.org/issues/371/17708

       Thanks for this.

       Might you have time to look for a way to work this into the
Wikipedia article on uranium?  I couldn't find this mentioned, and it
looks like it belongs, either in the section on " Human exposure" or
"Effects and precautions".  I don't want to take the lead on this, but
I'd be pleased to help with the syntax of the Mediawiki markup language
if you'd like.

       Spencer

>   I think that all members of Congress who vote for extended uses of
> uranium should be wiling to have the female members of their families
> drink groundwater from down slope of the old mining sites tailing
> ponds and slag piles.
> --
> "Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
> then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126