[GPSCC-chat] Water, water nowhere.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon Jul 28 14:20:35 PDT 2014

One of the more important local elections this fall will be fore
Directors of the Santa Clara Valley Water District.  This is all the
more critical as we are in the 3rd year of what appears to be an
extended drought... maybe even the establishment of a new normal climate
for our area.

The following Director terms end in December, 2014:

  * District 1. Dennis Kennedy
  * District 4. Linda J. Lazotte
  * District 6. Tony Estremera
  * District 7. Brian A Schmidt

If you don't know what district you are in, check the maps on this page:
http://www.valleywater.org/About/Board_of_Directors/District_Boundaries.aspx

I live in District 1, the most rural of all the districts and know
Kennedy since he was Mayor of Morgan Hill.    I will publicly endorse
him this time, in particular after reading these  commenst about his
role as an elected official:

 From one email:
> We, as water wholesalers, are limited by the enforcement measures
> available. We must rely on the retailers; cities and water companies
> to enforce our goals.
>
> I am angered by the careless disregard of some water waisters and will
> do my best to get them to stop.

and from another:
> One of the toughest challenges for elected officials is changing the
> mind set of some bureaucrats who have been "hunkered down" for a while.

I have seen this tendency to "hunker down" before.  I have also seen
bureaucrats who will trust the consultants that they hired to justify a
project before they listen to the public when it is critical of their
efforts.  If for no other reason than this, I would not consider that a
Director's experience working for the District to be a plus.  It is not
necessarily a detriment but voters should consider whether the long time
associations might be like blinder keep them from seeing the real problems.

I don't know the other Directors all that well.  But if they are your
director, you should.  You should also begin to pay attention to such
issues as the planned water bond that will give the state NO NEW WATER.

We also need to pay close attention to ground water use.  The State of
CA has no system to inform planners as to how much ground water is being
pumped nor how much is left.  As a result, we have some areas in the
Central Valley  that are experiencing nearly a foot of subsidence per
year.   Santa Clara County's experience with ground water pumping is
very evident in Alviso.  This community was not always below sea level,
even without the sea level rise we know is coming.

Finally, we also need to be sure that the District Board is up front
considering the impact of sustained drought on their financial status.
As Kennedy wrote, they are wholesalers.  That means they get revenue by
selling water to retailers (cities, water companies).  When usage drops
there is less revenue and so rates will necessarily have to rise just to
cover the real expenses of supplying water.   Droughts of short duration
can be handled by incurring more debt.  However, that can not be
sustained.   District long term financial plans must be transparent.

You know what to look for.  Challenge the candidates in your districts
to do the right things.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/