[GPSCC-chat] Prop 49, the Overturn Citizens United Measure, supported by the Santa Clara Greens

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Jul 25 11:56:32 PDT 2014

Hello, All:

       By unanimous vote of the County Council, the Green Party of Santa
Clara County endorses Prop 49, the Overturn Citizens United measure to
appear on this November's ballot in California.

        We did this believing that the corrosive effect of big money on
politics in the US is a major obstacle to progress on virtually all
major issues facing humanity today.  If Prop 49 fails, it could be a
major set back for all future efforts to fix any of these problems.  If
it succeeds -- especially if it gets overwhelming support -- it could
catalyze similar efforts in other states and movement in the US Congress
on a constitutional amendment "to allow the full regulation or
limitation of campaign contributions and spending ..., and to make clear
that the rights protected by the United States Constitution are the
rights of natural persons only."[*]  You may recall that initiatives to
require labeling genetically modified foods (Genetically Modified
Organisms, GMOs) were defeated in California and elsewhere after having
overwhelming support in early polls, because big money interests
invested in successful public relations campaigns against them.

       We therefore hope you will take every opportunity you find to
inform yourselves and all your contacts about this measure and
facilitate its overwhelming adoption.  This could include mentioning it
in meetings on other issues like health care and the environment.

       Thanks.
       Spencer Graves

[*] Prop 49 implements SB 1272, which contains draft language for the
initiative.  See
"http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB1272".
You probably know that Harvard Law Prof. Lawrence Lessig (2011,
Republic, Lost) insists that campaign finance is the "gateway problem"
facing the US today, in that progress on other critical issues is
largely blocked until we fix this issue.  Overturning Citizens United
can help with this problem but won't solve it.  I believe a bigger
problem is funding investigative journalism, as noted in my recent blog
on "Restrict secrecy more than data collection" at
sanjosepeace.wordpress.com
(http://sanjosepeace.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/restrict-secrecy-more-than-data-collection/).

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD