[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Governor Brown and Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to Meet in Mountain View Next Week

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Mon Mar 3 21:20:37 PST 2014

"In the Middle East, water resources are of great political concern.
Since Israel receives much of its water from two large underground
aquifers ..., the use of this water has been contentious in the
Israeli–Palestinian conflict. ... in the 1950s, Israel consumed 95% of
the water output of the Western Aquifer, and 82% of that produced by the
Northeastern Aquifer. ... Palestinian irrigation pumps on the Jordan
River were destroyed or confiscated after the 1967 war and Palestinians
were not allowed to use water from the Jordan River system. Furthermore,
the authorities did not allow any new irrigation wells to be drilled by
Palestinian farmers, while it provided fresh water and allowed drilling
wells for irrigation purposes at the Jewish settlements in the West Bank
and Gaza Strip." (Wikipedia, "Israeli–Palestinian conflict")

Gov. Brown proposes to take water from Northern California and ship it
South.

Spencer