[GPSCC-chat] Proposed increase in San José Police budget failed

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Mar 5 14:20:31 PST 2014

Hello, All:

       Councilmember Oliverio's proposal to increase police from 30 to
40 percent of the general revenue was voted down 10 to 1 by the San José
City Council yesterday.  "[C]ritics including the police union had
written off the Willow Glen councilman's plan as a political stunt. City
budget officials said they would have to cut all other departments by
about 30 percent to make the new spending plan work."
(http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25275593/san-jose-police-wont-get-minimum-funding-after)

       Thanks to any who attended and spoke against the measure or wrote
their councilmembers.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

################

       Please come to the City Council meeting Tuesday, 2 PM, if you
can.  Councilmember Oliverio wants the City Council to vote then to
increase the San José Police budget from 30 to 40 percent of the general
revenue;  see below.

       I think this is a serious mistake, possibly leading to an
increase rather than a decrease in crime.

       The incarceration rate in the US today is 5 times what it was 40
years ago.  No change in crime correlates with that.  I know of only one
change during these past 40 years that can explain that: Consolidation
of ownership of the mainstream commercial media with a massive reduction
in investigative journalism.  The air time left open by this reduction
in investigative journalism was filled by increasing coverage of violent
crime.   This fear mongering convinced the public to support stiffer
prison sentences.

       We need evidence-based public policy, not fearmongering.  In
particular, we need to better understand what programs keep kids in
school and out of prison and what prison and release programs minimize
recidivism.

       One example was the one-year Perry Preschool program in 1962 that
became the prototype for Head Start.  By age 40, only 28% of the Perry
Preschool kids had served time in jail or prison vs. 52% of the matched
control group.

       This was only a 1-year intervention.  With more serious
interventions, I believe we can virtually eliminate the school drop out
problem and with it the violent crime that justifies law enforcement.

       However, to do this, we need more flexibility in how the general
revenue is spent.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves