[GPSCC-chat] AAAS: Climate change may trigger 'abrupt' world-wide consequences

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Mar 19 09:32:03 PDT 2014

On 3/19/2014 3:48 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:
> <snip>
>
> p.s.  Might someone have time to skim the full AAAS report?  If yes,
> I'd like to know if it mentions "chaos theory" or "catastrophe
> theory".  I believe it should be cited in relevant Wikipedia
> articles.  I don't have time at the moment to do that research, but I
> could help someone else with the knowledge to make appropriate changes
> to Wikipedia.
Spencer, the full article is a very good summary statement of what is
known and what is still un-known and has no reference to chaos theory.
While risk assessment is a major subject in the report, it is referenced
in terms of "tail risk".
> Where there is a range of uncertainty, the high-side projections
> represent tail risk, a common
> concept in the world of finance.
It is probably appropriate to express things in this manner as the
terminology isin  fairly common parlance from the discussion of the
financial meltdown that we have just gone through.  It is the financial
risk of climate change that will probably drive much of the changes we
need as insurance companies, real estate investment trusts, etc. take
action to protect their assets.  Consider what a 7 ft. sea level rise
would do to S. Florida real estate.

As the Daily Climate summarizes this: "The significance of Tuesday's
report lies not in its findings, which cover familiar ground, but in who
is saying it: the world's largest general scientific body, and one of
its most respected."  It should be deeply disconcerting to deniers that
Katherine Hayhoe's name is on the report as she is political
conservative (Republican?)  and an Evangelical Christian.
--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/