[GPSCC-chat] AAAS: Climate change may trigger 'abrupt' world-wide consequences

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Mar 19 03:48:23 PDT 2014

Hello, All:

       A new report by the American Association for the Advancement of
Science (AAAS) warns that, "Climate change may trigger 'abrupt'
world-wide consequences"
(http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/3/18/report-climate-changemaytriggerabruptworldwideconsequences.html).

       This has been known since 1961, when Edward Lorenz found that
minor differences in starting conditions to his (nonlinear) weather
simulations produced huge differences in the results.  This began the
popularization of "chaos theory" (Wikipedia, "Chaos theory"). Further
work in this area in the 1960s and 1970s became known as "catastrophe
theory" where, "Small changes in certain parameters of a nonlinear
system can cause equilibria to appear or disappear, or to change from
attracting to repelling and vice versa, leading to large and sudden
changes of the behaviour" (Wikipedia, "Catastrophe theory").

       This is important, because the prestige of AAAS should help
marginalize the climate change deniers.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

p.s.  Might someone have time to skim the full AAAS report?  If yes, I'd
like to know if it mentions "chaos theory" or "catastrophe theory".  I
believe it should be cited in relevant Wikipedia articles.  I don't have
time at the moment to do that research, but I could help someone else
with the knowledge to make appropriate changes to Wikipedia.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer