[GPSCC-chat] Minutes of May 22, 2014, meeting of the Green Party of Santa Clara County (corrected)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri May 23 09:23:34 PDT 2014

Please post corrections to this list.

On 5/21/2014 3:27 PM, Caroline Yacoub wrote:
> 7:00  Speaker: Brian Davis, Tri-City Health Center

       Tri-City in Fremont:  LGBT Tobacco Prevention Project, "Butt out
of our bars".  Funding from the fact that they have funding to deal with
LGBT smoking, who tend to smoke 3 times as much as the general
population.  There is a gay bar in San José (plus at least 8 other bars
in SJ) where tobacco company reps distribute cigarettes for 1 pack for
$1 at that bar that night.  Splash, Caravan, Gringos, Branham Lounge,
Pure Lounge (Svle).  Or buy one get one free or ... .  All this makes it
easier for people to get hooked.

       Councilmember Ash Kalra and others are supporting an ordinance to
outlaw passing out for free or minimal cost cigarettes or coupons for
same.  San Francisco and many other cities in the bay area have bans
like this.  San José does not.

       Another ordinance proposes to ban e-cigarettes.

       Residents of San José are encouraged to contact their City
Council representatives, asking them to support bans on free and minimal
cost cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

Tian:  Dan Winkler and Thomas Spielbauer were two of the people who got
one of the first anti-smoking ordinances in the US passed.

> 7:30 Meeting begins. Introductions, announcements, changes or
> additions to
>          agenda, hat passing.

       Spencer

       Caroline

       Drew:  Tomorrow 11 AM at De Anza:  Ellen Brown speaks.  Father
Michael Lapsley, lost an eye and parts of both arms in the
anti-apartheit effort in South Africa.

       John Thielking

       Pete O'Reilley:  Friday, there have been about 17 days of
emergency protests (ends Monday) -- at Zoe Lofgren's tomorrow, 3:45 - 5
PM (635 N. First) -- against US intervention in the Ukraine. Sam Farr
won't talk with people about this.

       Sandy Perry

       Warner Bloomberg, Esq.:  ~May 12, Warner's subscription to
sosfbay-discuss was dropped.

       Sandy receives but can't send.

       Tian from Mountain View.  Fixes email problems.

> 7:45 Identify Facilitator:  Caroline

> , Note Taker:  Spencer

> , Vibes Watcher:  Tian

> , Time Keeper:  Sandy

> , and Agenda
>          Preparer for June meeting: Sandy if someone will fix his chat
> list.

> 7:55  Report on Climate Change work, including rally at the Fairmont.

       Tian went to the Fairmont:  Atmosphere;  Free speech area was
surrounded by a fence with police walking around.  Security was a
bummer.  Working also with Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (~30 years
old) working to make San José more bike friendly -- and through that to
impact global warming.

       Pete:  His brother-in-law is working on the San Benito ban on
fracking.  "The Overnighters" is a movie about problems created by
Fracking.

>           Santa Cruz County first county to ban fracking. There are
> groups in Gilroy
>            and Hollister working on it. 350.org Silicon Valley is
> working on it.

       Soil sequestration of carbon:  John's preliminary evaluation of
the literature says all the carbon in the topsoil escapes in 10 years.
With special grass with deep roots could get carbon sequestration to
last 100 years.

> 8:10  Letter writing
>
> 8:20  Report on De Anza work

       Lots of events.

       Maria and Lucia wrote an Op Ed re. terrible coverage on the
Governor's race.

       Rodriguez has a new image on Facebook roughly every other day.

> 8:35  Report from Health Care Coalition meeting

       Lots of outreach.

>            June 7 in Oakland training for people to be regional
> coordinators
>            July 30 Health Care is a Human Right Day  (39th anniversary
> of Medicare)
>             August 22-24 in Oakland, people from all over the country
> who are working
>               for Single Payer

       Greg Miller, RN, is volunteering to take a carload of folks to
Oakland on August 22-24 and June 7.

       Endorsers and Affiliates of the Campaign for a Healthy California.

> 8:50  John's Resolution on Ukraine and Russia asking the US government
> to get out of the Ukraine.  US contributed $5 billion for "democracy
> promotion" in the Ukraine.  Allegedly, a truckload of cash was seen
> driving from the airport ot the US embassy and some of the money went
> to pay people to protest in Kiev.

       Proposed:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County will send an
expression of concern about US intervention in the Ukraine to Bay Area
congressional representatives, Senators Boxer and Feinstein, Secretary
of State John Kerry, Senators John McCain and Mitch McConnell plus
President Barack Obama.

       Warner does not like terms like fascist in the resolution.
"tinderbox" in hyperbolic.

       Warner would support a much briefer statement focusing on the
"Therefore" clause, eliminating the discussion of fascists, etc.

       Tian & Caroline would prefer to scratch references to organized
labor.

        Warner will draft a statement and send to Tian for posting.

*** Email problems refer to Tian (and Spencer), who will refer them
further to Tim Laidman if needed to resolve the problem.

       Drew:  Use riseup.net of you have problems with Yahoo, gmail,
hotmail, sbcglobal, ..., move to riseup.net.

       Agenda for next time:  Proposal for change of our email list.

> 9:10 Is anybody going to the Plenary? Are we going to choose
> delegates? Has anybody looked at the agenda?

             Next June 21-22 at UC Santa Barbara -- a specific campus
there (see www.cagreens.org/ga).

       Drew and Sandy are considering attending.  Debbie would also go
if Drew did.  Registration period is now open.  Deadline = Wednesday
before the meeting.

             (1) Someone on the County Council must send in the list of
delegates and alternates by the Wednesday before the meeting.

             (2) The delegates and alternates must register by the
Wednesday before.

       The County Council will designate delegates and alternates and
notify the state party as required.

       Volunteers are being recruited for delegates and alternates.

Also:  Plans for reappointment of County Council members.

       Per a statewide interpretation of the rules, existing county
council members are reappointed.

> 9:25 (or perhaps earlier) the will be a movie here at the Peace Center
> tomorrow night called  "Salt of the Earth"  a 1954 film on Economic
> Justice.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.