[GPSCC-chat] Rain and reservoirs

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Nov 22 10:28:41 PST 2014

Yes, we have had some rain.  But you can not tell that by looking at
reservoir levels.   Anderson / Coyote / Calero complex has been kept at
around 38% by bringing in water from the State.  There are pipes from
San Luis reservoir near Los Banos to Coyote and from Anderson to
Calero.  Coyote to Andrson is just down hill.  If you look at the other
side of the valley, though, the story is much different. Lexington
Reservoir is the 3rd largest and it is only at 12.8% while Uvas is at
2.1% and Chesbro is empty... showing 0% on the water district chart.
These three get their water from Santa Cruz Mountains rainfall and we
have not had enough to really start any appreciable run off.

So, while the medium range forecast is for December to be slightly
warmer and slightly wetter than normal, it won't really make a major
difference in drought conditions unless that is followed by wet Jan,
Feb, Mar.

What we don't need is for residents, either agricultural or urban,
beginning to act as if they can ignore the situation.  Nor, do we need
the large agricultural users to satisfy their demand by pumping more
ground water.  Some areas near Mendota are subsiding at the rate of a
foot / year.  Over a square mile, that is 640 acre feet of water that
the aquifer's will no longer hold.

Note: Californian's passed the bond measure with Proposition 1.   It
calls for building additional reservoir capacity.  But the fact is that
this will not do the state any good.  I retweeted @chanceofrain who made
this clear.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't,
then you are wasting your time on this Earth" - /Roberto Clemente/