[GPSCC-chat] Silicon Valley firm fined for paying Indian workers one-sixth of minimum wage

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Oct 25 08:32:56 PDT 2014

       The Wikipedia article on "Wage theft" says it is common in the
US, "particularly from low wage legal or illegal immigrant workers".

       The article you cited mentioned a case filed by the US Department
of Labor.  A company in Monterey, CA, has been sued by multiple
employees.[1]  A court action against that company is currently on the
calendar for Wed., Dec. 3, in California Northern District Court, Judge
Lucy H. Koh, Courtroom 8 4th Floor, San Jose;  another case was
dismissed in 2012 in favor of the company accused of wage theft.[2]  If
there were interest, someone could attend and write something.  Some
publications accept everything that's submitted.  Other publications
require more work.  If you are interested, we could discuss.  If there
were interest, we might be able to get the plaintiff in one such suit to
speak before our next meeting, Nov, 20, 7 PM at the SJ Peace Center.

       However, I would not push that, because this does not relate to
either of our two primary foci (environment and universal health care)
nor to electoral reform.

       Spencer

[1] Nathalie Thuy Van v. Language Line Services, Inc. and Language Line
Solutions, California Northern District Court
(http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/employment/california-northern-district-court/878711/nathalie-thuy-van-v-language-line-services-inc-and-language-line-solutions/summary/);
this case is current.  Another case was dismissed May 2, 2012 in favor
of Language Line.  RICHARD V. CAMPAGNA, ZONIA FEREAUD, and MARTA L.
NARANJO et al., Plaintiffs, v. LANGUAGE LINE SERVICES, INC., Defendant.
United States District Court, N.D. California, San Jose Division
(http://www.leagle.com/decision/In%20FDCO%2020120503888).

[2]     5:14-cv-03791-LHK - Nathalie Thuy Van v. Language Line Services,
Inc. et al
Initial Case Mgmt Conference, "www.cand.uscourts.gov/CEO/cfd.aspx?7142n".

On 10/25/2014 1:42 AM, Tian Harter wrote:
> On 10/24/2014 03:18 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>>  Silicon Valley firm fined for paying Indian workers one-sixth of
>> minimum wage
>>  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Silicon-Valley-firm-fined-for-paying-Indian-workers-one-sixth-of-minimum-wage/articleshow/44923250.cms
>>

>>  NEW DELHI: A Silicon Valley company has been fined by the US
>> Department of Labor for paying just $1.21 an hour to eight Indian
>> employees it had flown in from its Bangalore office to install
>> computer systems at its Fremont headquarters, the San Jose Mercury
>> News reported on October 22.
>>
> I had coworkers that were paid that kind of wage back in the '80s. I
> thought about them a lot. Wondered what to do about it. Never did
> anything. Tip the paper. Never thought of that. Good idea!
>
> EFI is pretending it's an isolated case. Ummm... I bet there is a lot
> of that kind of thing out there.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.