[GPSCC-chat] Merc News on Instant Runoff Voting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Oct 26 12:17:38 PDT 2014

Hello, All:

       Bay Area papers including today's Mercury News are carrying an
article on ranked choice voting (also called instant runoff voting, IRV):

"http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_26800368/cities-ready-another-round-ranked-choice-voting",

"http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_26800368/cities-ready-another-round-ranked-choice-voting",

"http://www.contracostatimes.com/my-town/ci_26800369/cities-ready-another-round-ranked-choice-voting"

and
"http://www.insidebayarea.com/my-town/ci_26800369/cities-ready-another-round-ranked-choice-voting".

The article is also shared on the Oakland Tribune's Facebook page at
"https://www.facebook.com/OaklandTribune/posts/10154702112080456".

       The Green Party has long supported IRV.  A year ago I attended
several meetings of the Santa Clara County Citizens' Advisory Commission
on Elections with Steve Chessin and othes from Californians for
Electoral Reform.  If I understand correction, any governmental entity
in Santa Clara County could use IRV for a future general election by
simply deciding to do si.  Santa Clara County has voting equipment that
could support IRV and can easily get the software.  However, to use it
in a special election (e.g., to replace someone who resigned or died),
the County Charter might have to be revised.

       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer